Key encounter 5: 'on the floor'
The most striking feature of this encounter was how little interaction
actually occurred between the staff and the patient. However, some key
issues emerged from later discussion with this and other patients relating
to communication during dialysis:
- -communication about procedures as they are occurring is highly valued
- -personal relationships between staff and patients are a central
factor in the patients' dialysis experience
- -patients are concerned about nurses' concentration when they talk
to other staff while carrying out procedures
- -proficiency of staff - e.g. in placing needles - is highly valued
- -extensive opportunities for increasing shared understanding exist
but are rarely utilised.
Click here to download a more detailed exploration of this encounter.