Camtasia Version 9 is now available from Application Catalog
Camtasia Version 9, Camtasia Studio (version 8) and Camtasia for Mac are software suites for creating video tutorials and presentations directly via screen capturing, or via a direct recording plug-in to Microsoft PowerPoint.
The screen area to be recorded can be chosen freely, and audio or other multimedia recordings may be recorded at the same time or added separately from any other source.
Camtasia started as enhanced screen capture program and has evolved to integrate screen capture and post-production tools targeted at the educational and information multimedia development market.
What are the components of Camtasia?How do I get Camtasia Ver 9 and Camtasia Studio?Why use Camtasia?Where to go to get support
Ext: 6600Where can I get training?Camtasia ResourcesCamtasia ExtrasWhat should I do with my videos once I have produced them in Camtasia?Things to consider when producing your Camtasia videos
Camtasia v9 and Camtasia Studio v8 for Microsoft Windows consists of two major components:
- Camtasia Recorder - a tool for capturing screen audio and video
- Camtasia Studio editor - a multimedia authoring tool with the industry standard "timeline" interface for managing multiple clips in a stacked track form.
Camtasia version 9 and Camtasia Studio has been licensed by the University to meet the need to capture screen recordings and to edit and/or repurpose video and audio used for learning and teaching by academic staff. It is also recognised however that general staff may also benefit by having access to this software.
Install Camtasia for Windows via the CDU Application Catalogue. Launch the Application Catalogue and either browse by Category (Recording & Utilities) or search for Camtasia to locate the software for installation.
Click the installation file to install Camtasia on your computer and follow the installation wizard prompts for guidance.
Please note: depending on your browser you may be prompted to login to the Application Catalogue, if so, provide your CDU-STAFF logon details for access.
Download Camtasia for Mac directly from TechSmith. Once it has been installed, you will need to contact ITMS to finalise the registration process. You can get further support on the TechSmith website. This does not include personally owned computers.
Windows (CDU Non-MOE)
Download Camtasia for Windows directly from TechSmith. Once it has been installed, you will need to contact ITMS to finalise the registration process. This does not include personally owned computers.
There are many benefits to using Camtasia ranging from screen capturing and desktop recording to developing video and other interactive learning objects for learning and teaching.
Some examples of how Camtasia can be used include:
- Screen capture and desktop recordings
- Developing instructional videos
- Create demonstrations and how to’s
- Record interviews
- Engaging students with interactive content
- Incorporating quizzes and questioning
- Authoring and developing SCORM Packages
Camtasia not only allows you to create engaging content but comes with a video editor that gives you control to cut out mistakes, bring in new footage or add audio and images.
There are many pedagogical benefits to using Camtasia and already lecturers and academics are putting Camtasia to great use in their learning and teaching right now at CDU.
If you require support with the installation process, please contact the ITMS service desk.
T: 08 8946 6600
Camtasia Technical Support is available to log individual support tickets and provides live chat options. The Technical Support team is based in the US and is available on the US Eastern time zone from 8am – 7pm Monday to Friday (9:30pm - 8:30am (CST) Monday - Saturday).
Please note: Camtasia is provided in a self-supported context. The Learnline Staff support team or ITMS don't provide general application support for Camtasia.
Lynda.com have released a new course to support Camtasia version 9.
Lynda.com provides courses for Camtasia and 174 video tutorials ranging from Beginner through to Advanced users. CDU staff have access to a suite of courses via arrangements with lynda.com see website below for further information.
Find out how to connect to Lynda.com at OPC.
Screencasting Fundamentals (3h 45m)
- What is Screencasting?
- Choosing the right tool
- Starting new projects from scratch
- Using characters in Articulate Studio and Articulate Storyline
- Adding interactivity
- Creating quizzes
- Exporting projects to various formats
Camtasia Studio 8 Essential Training (6h 19m)
- Creating and configuring a recording account
- Choosing and connecting a microphone
- Installing Camtasia Studio
- Choosing the area of the screen you want to record
- Managing mouse movements
- Handling mistakes
- Editing audio and video in Camtasia
- Adding animation and zoom-and-pan or picture-in-picture effects
- Using the PowerPoint add-in
- Adding closed captioning
- Creating interactive quizzes
- Exporting and publishing movies
Learn Camtasia: Advanced Techniques (3h 11m)
- Exploring Camtasia Studio and Camtasia Recorder
- Patching recording and audio errors
- Capturing video on your smartphone with Fuse
- Organizing a project
- Adding and animating effects
- Grouping clips
- Removing green screen
- Improving audio
- Editing the visual properties
- Troubleshooting in Camtasia
- Exporting and sharing video and audio
Camtasia Community (CDU Wiki)
A wiki space has been created at CDU for sharing information on Camtasia. This will provide a platform for a community of practice to emerge.
TechSmith provide two blog services; For Educators and Tips & How To’s. Both Blogs contain posts by TechSmith product and options are available to subscribe to posts via email or RSS feeds.
Camtasia on Google Scholar
Searching Google Scholar for Camtasia returns thousands of results to articles, journals, publications and case studies that provide insight into the application of Camtasia in learning and teaching.
Camtasia on YouTube
Camtasia provides a dedicated channel on YouTube with a number of video tutorials, education customer stories, tips and tricks, introductions and insight into how to use Camtasia for the flipped classroom
TechSmith Camtasia website Studio 8 Tutorials
TechSmith Camtasia host a series of online video tutorials from getting started to advanced techniques, targeting Windows and Mac users.
Camtasia Help Guides
PDF guides and tip sheets are also available at Techsmith including:
- Full Camtasia Studio Help
- Complete Camtasia Studio Hotkeys
- Common Hotkeys Mini Poster
- Create Camtasia Studio Library Media
- Project Collaboration
- Create Engaging Screencasts
- Get Great Sound
- Share Outputs for Interactive Features
Camtasia for quizzes
Additional extras such as themes, music and templates are available from the Camtasia Studio media library. These can be downloaded and then installed to Camtasia Studio to add even more to what Camtasia already has to offer.
CDU’s preferred method of hosting videos is ShareStream. More information on ShareStream and how to use it can be found in the Learnline Wiki Space.
While Camtasia Studio has the ability to produce very high quality videos. Consideration should be made about the intended audience and how they will access the videos.
As a rule:
- Consider file size. Consideration should be made to ensure that all users are able to access the videos. A student that has a limited internet connection is unlikely to want to download an excessively large file. If your video is intended to be uploaded to the CDU website, you may need to contact Web Services to ensure the file size is correct. There are various ways to compress your video for uploading.
- Store the Camtasia project files in a safe place. When you have finished making your video, make sure you store your project files in a safe place that allows for easy and quick modification to existing videos. You can also use project files as a template for later videos. This will lend consistency to your videos and saves time and effort in subsequent productions.
- Copyright and branding. All videos produced in Camtasia must follow the CDU brand guidelines for video and include copyright information.