Identity Management (IDM) is an application for managing the electronic identities of CDU staff and students.
The CDU Identity management system can be broadly considered to have the following main components:
- A central store of people information
- Automated Processes
IDM combines staff, students, visitors and contractors into a single store of “people” so that they can be managed more efficiently.
Staff and Students may be directly managed by CDU in the Alesco Human Resource System or the Callista Student System or they may be “affiliated” with CDU through an agreement between CDU and another organisation.
The benefits here are that Alesco and Callista can do what they do best, and that is manage human resources and students, while the IDM can “report” to CDU from a single source on the people that make up CDU. This will eventually result in a “linked” identity so that for any individual, all information can be quickly and easily accessed.
- staff information
- student information
- directory information (phone, address details etc)
- security information (door access, after hours airconditioning access, etc)
- identity card information.
Please note: that the information stored about people is appropriate and secure.
IDM will not contain information about staff or students relating to their employment or studies, only about the person themselves.
IDM is about automating processes, but a big part is about empowering front line staff. This means that “self service” applications will allow staff to manage their own identity as far as possible, and supervisors can manage the identities of their staff too. This encourages correctness identity information because it is constantly being reviewed, but more importantly streamlines processes allowing important actions to be carried out quickly.
Key examples of this are:
- Computer Account Activation - a new staff member at CDU can activate their account as soon as they arrive on campus. Their computer account will achieve basic functionality in a few minutes. This is possible because the Alesco Human Resource Management System provides information to the IDM allowing self service activation.
- Location Changes – any user can now tell the IDM where they are. This allows automated changing of back end systems to optimize the performance of their computer account and targeted notifications and alerts making reducing the amount of email staff receive that doesn’t apply to them.
- Directory Management – all staff can now edit their own directory information (phone number, description, building location etc..) to keep their details up to date on the online CDU directory.
The applications that will be provided to empower CDU IDM are:
- administrative applications – to assist Identity Management by Supervisors and Support staff
- self service applications - allowing people to review/manage their own identity information
IDM processes a lot of tasks in the background such as:
- importing new staff and students into the IDM
- processing changes to staff and students as they change jobs within CDU or change their enrolments.
Outcomes that will result from automated processes include:
- creation/updates to computer accounts and permissions based on changes to underling identities
- suspension/termination of computer accounts based when students and staff finish at CDU
- provision of identity information to other CDU systems that need it (Library for borrowing, security for door control, building systems for airconditioning control, etc)
- notifications to staff of required actions such as reviewing new or transferred subordinates for the “appropriate” rights associated with their identity.