Wireless access to the Charles Darwin University (CDU) network and the Internet is available from most locations across ALL CDU campuses.
CDU provides access to the internet, via Wifi (and student computers), for the purpose of allowing students access to online resources in support of their study.
Students are reminded that when they activated their computer account they agreed to the CDU “Information and Communication Technologies Acceptable Use Policy” (PDF 80KB) .
Of note the following are not permitted
- Downloading excessive amounts of data
- Downloading pornography
- Downloading copyright material (Films etc)
Students identified in breach of this policy will be contacted and asked to explain their usage.
How to Connect
All that is required to gain access is a wireless capable device and a valid CDU username/password.
Please be aware that due to the nature of wireless it is not possible to guarantee that the occasional black spot will not exist.
CDU Students can also access the location independent eduroam service. For settings and links to more information please visit our eduroam page.
Students, if you have a Windows laptop/notebook/netbook you can connect to the CDU Student Wi-Fi service using our online configuration tool, XpressConnect by Cloudpath.
Provided you are in an area of the campus which has Wi-Fi coverage you should be able to see our list of available Wi-Fi services through your network settings on your device.
You will need to ensure your Wi-Fi antenna is turned on.
NB (Staff can also use Cloudpath, just select the Staff network instead of the student network)
Connecting and configuring your device for our network:
- Connect to our limited Wi-Fi network, cdu-wifi-setup.
- From your available list of Wi-Fi services, click on the cdu-wifi-setup option and click Connect.
- This will allow you to connect to our network to run XpressConnect.
- Open your internet browser and run XpressConnect.
- When you open your browser you should automatically be directed to our XpressConnect configuration page. If not, go to wifi.cdu.edu.au.
- Click the Start button when the page opens.
- Follow the prompts and click on the Charles Darwin Student Wireless Network and then click Continue.
- Type in your student number and password when prompted.
- Don’t forget to put an ‘s’ in front of your student number e.g, s123456.
- XpressConnect will advise when your device has been configured and assign an IP address at which time you will be able to access the internet.
- Keep in mind that for each session, where you connect to the Internet, you will be prompted to enter your student number and password.
NOTES: Due to the range of differing configurations and laptops this process may not work for all devices or may differ slightly from device to device.
At this stage we do not have a smartphone configuration installed in our version of Cloudpath but rest assured it is coming.
If you have not managed to set up your device after attempting this or are unable to configure your smartphone then feel free to visit the I.T. Kiosk, 8am to 4pm weekdays.
The Library webpage also has a number of wireless setup guides available.
The wireless network is encrypted to safeguard data transmissions over the connection.