CDU Home | About CDU | Courses | Faculties & Schools | Learning & Teaching | Library | Campuses & Centres | Media | Contact Us                              Learnline Login

New Staff Orientation

Staff orientation

General Information

To access any forms click on the forms section on the navigation pane on the right hand side of this website.

Please note: Any adjustments to staff pay are due the Thursday of a pay week for the following fortnight.

The first Thursday of a pay week for 2015 is Thursday January 1. The next payday for 2015 is Thursday 15 January continuing the Thursday fortnightly pattern for the year.

The links below allow you to quickly go to the selected information on this page:

CDU Glossary A - Z

To help you understand acronyms often used at the University please refer to Governance website Glossary A - Z page.

Signing On With The University

It is important that all sign-on paperwork is returned to the Office of People and Capability (OPC), Orange Precinct, Building 12, Level 2, before your first day of employment so as not to impact on things such as salary payments and computer access. You will need to supply the following documentation :

All completed documents provided in your employment pack:

  • Your original letter of offer (signed by yourself)
  • Your Tax File Number (TFN) Declaration
  • Disbursement of Net Pay Into Financial Institution Form
  • Medical Declaration Form
  • District Allowance Declaration Form
  • Engagement and Emergency Contact Details Form
  • Statistical Data Collection Form
  • UniSuper Application Form (found in UniSuper Booklet)

Other documentation:

  • Proof of identity (drivers licence, passport or birth certificate)
  • Originals or certified copies of all your relevant qualifications
  • Working With Children Clearance Notice (NT Ochre Card) as required
  • Any other documentation required as specified in your contract

Prior Service Recognition

Prior service recognition is normally applied only to the qualifying period for accessing Long Service Leave. Prior service is recognised in the value of the entitlement only to the extent that the prior employer has transferred finances from that institution to the University to be credited to the entitlement.

Organisations which CDU recognise for prior service include other Australian Universities, the Northern Territory Government and Menzies School of Health Research. 

Staff wanting to apply for prior service are required to: 

  1. Forward the Statement of Service From Previous Employer form to your previous organisation within six months from the date of commencement at CDU.
  2. Once completed your previous employer should return the form to you and you should then forward the form to HRS Salaries.
  3. HRS Salaries will email you once your prior service has been recognised or otherwise.

Please note: A claim for recognition of prior service shall only be approved upon the production of satisfactory evidence. To access the Statement of Service from Previous Employer form click on the forms section of the navigation pane on the right hand side of this website.

Working With Children Clearance Notice (NT Ochre Card)

Successfully obtaining the Ochre Card along with the Clearance Notice is obligatory for specified members of staff (those undertaking 'child related work'), where possible prior to obtaining employment with the University. Once employed, maintaining a current Ochre Card (valid for two years, unless a relevant change in circumstances results in a Clearance Notice being revoked), is mandatory for continuing employment with the University.  Staff members are required to notify the Director, Office of People and Capability where a Clearance Notice is refused or cancelled.

Note: It is an offence under Northern Territory law to continue to undertake 'child related work' if you do not hold a valid Ochre Card or Clearance Notice.

The original receipt is to be lodged with Office of People and Capability, Casuarina or Alice Springs. Casuarina staff need to present the original document with card attached to HRS, Casuarina. Alice Springs HRS staff will copy and certify documents and forward to HRS, Casuarina. Regional staff need to present original documents to Campus/Centre Administrators for copying and certification before being forwarded to HRS Casuarina. Upon receipt of original/certified copies HRS Casuarina will arrange reimbursement to staff for all campuses. All documents relating to the Working With Children Clearance (Clearance Notice) must only be stored by HRS Casuarina. No copies are to be kept by an other areas of the University.

For assistance or enquiries related to Criminal History Checks and Working With Children Clearances please contact the Staff Orientation Consultant on 08 8946 6934 or email

Working with Children Clearance Notice Renewal

NT Ochre Card renewals can only be completed once the staff member has received a reminder letter from SAFE NT. This letter will be sent two months prior to the card's expiry. Renewals your card online at NT Police, Fire and Emergency Services.

Once the Ochre Card has been successfully renewed by SAFE NT the staff member must present the original document with card attached to HRS Casuarina, or HRS Alice Springs or the Centre/Campus Administrator. HRS Casuarina will arrange reimbursement to the staff member for the cost of the renewal.

New Staff Orientation Workshop

During your first week with the University you will be required to attend an orientation workshop. The workshop will include a general overview of the University, introduction to CDU's website, StaffOnline, obligations of staff and supervisors, the Performance Development Review System (PDRS), probation, health and safety, codes of behaviour, compulsory courses, staff professional development courses and much more. You will also be issued with your Staff Identification and Access card if you have not already been issued one.

Graduate Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (GCUTL)

The Graduate Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (GCUTL) focuses on the professional development of academic staff with particular focus on teaching and learning. It replaces the Graduate Certificate of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (GCTLHE) from Semester 1, 2015. The course is run jointly by the School of Education and the Office of Learning and Teaching.

The GCUTL course structure and study plan is located in the CDU course catalogue.

Note: GCUTL is administered by EHSE/LEBA Faculty Office, Building Blue 5. For further enquiries please email:

Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) - Professional Development opportunities

The office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) provides a range of Professional Development (PD) opportunities to help the University's teaching staff strengthen their practice. The PD opportunities cater for the needs of new teaching staff as well as more experienced staff wanting to strengthen practices or further develop their teaching career. PD is delivered in multiple modes: through online PD units in Learnline; through online sessions in the Online Classroom powered by Blackboard Collaborate; as well as through face to face sessions.

For further information please visit the Office of Learning and Teaching.

Health and Safety for New Staff

As a staff member of the University you have an obligation to follow safe working procedures at all times, and to take all reasonable precautions to prevent personal injury or injury to others or damage to plant and equipment. You will learn about the Work Health and Safety (WHS) team and be introduced to ergonomic principles, and fire awareness and emergency evacuation through the compulsory online units. Orientation Workshop dates, and training delivered via Learnline information can be found at Orientation Workshops.

We also encourage you to look at the information on the HRS website to familiarise yourself with the role of the WHS team, and to review WHS workshops available.

Staff Identification and Access Card

To get your staff identification/access card you must have an employee number, which is generated after your signed contract and other documentation have been received by HRS and entered into the system.

Once your details have been entered in the system your supervisor will inform you of your employee number. If your supervisor is not available to give you this information please contact HRS Reception.

Once you have your employee number you will need to take some sort of identification (driver licence, passport, or previous Staff Access Card) to the ITMS Kiosk (Red 1) for your photo to be taken and be issued with your card.

Staff Computer Accounts / eCentre

As a new staff member there is a simple activation process to follow to get your computer and email accounts.

You will need to know your employee number which your supervisor should provide to you or which can be obtained by contacting HRS Reception, following HRS's receipt of your signed contract and other documentation. Once you have your employee number open eCentre and select the option 'Don't have a CDU computer account' and follow the prompts.

Note: eCentre is managed by the Office of Information Technology and Management Services (ITMS).

Phones and IT Information for New Staff

Staff can make requests for phones, system access, computer accounts for visitors and more through eCentre.

ITMS has an IT Information for New Staff Guide that can be accessed through the ITMS webpage

CDU Staff Mailing Lists

As a CDU staff member you can subscribe to various mailing lists. To find out more about subscribing to the mailing lists go to CDU lists.

Email Acceptable Use Policy

The Email Acceptable Use Policy outlines what the University regards as acceptable use of University email facilities and what are the responsibilities of all email users. The Policy can be located in the Governance Document Library.


StaffOnline allows employees to directly access information held about them in the Office of People and Capability System. Staff members can do the following in StaffOnline:


  • Personal details (including personal contact details and emergency contact details)
  • Payroll details (including current payslip, payslip history, bank accounts and payment summary/group certificate)
  • Employment details
  • Leave (including leave requests, leave balances and leave history)


  • Personal details (including personal contact details such as address and phone number)
  • Emergency contact details
  • Dependant details
  • Payroll details (such as bank account details)

Apply for:

  • Leave (annual recreation leave, non-attendance time and paid sick leave) - all other leave must be applied for in hard copy form)
  • Internal vacancies

When you go to login to StaffOnline, use your computer username and password.

If you have any difficulties with login please call 08 8946 7227 or email

Performance Development Review System (PDRS)

The PDRS encourages discussion and feedback between staff members and their managers based on a clear statement of work goals and performance expectations across the staff member’s role and responsibilities.

All staff (excluding casual staff) need a PDRS conversation with their supervisor by 31 March of the year following their commencement date and every year after that by 31 March. Once a discussion has been held and the PDRS Planning form is signed off by both parties the supervisor should then go to ePDRS to confirm that the PDRS has been completed. This information is then recorded to give an up-to-date record of who has completed their PDRS and who hasn’t.

Corporate Health Cover

As a Charles Darwin University staff member Bupa offers you the benefits of corporate health insurance. Bupa Corporate Health Insurance gives staff members:

  • 2% discount on annual premiums
  • Higher benefits on your extras
  • Gap free physio and dental for kids at Bupa members first providers
  • Guaranteed portability when switching from another health fund

Bupa consultants are more than happy to speak with existing members, CDU employees with other health funds and also those that may currently not have anything in place. To speak to our local CDU Bupa consultant contact Deanne Jensen (email) or phone:0421 588 521. You can also drop in and visit Deanne at Bupa Shop 17A Casuarina Square, Trower Rd, Casuarina.

Employee Assistance Program

The University's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides access to counselling for all University staff and their immediate family members. The University uses Employee Assistance Services Australia (EASA) for the provision of this service. The University's EAP provides a free, short-term (up to five sessions initially), confidential counselling service to provide assistance with issues such as grief, addiction, work related problems and relationship and family issues. The purpose of counselling is to assist staff in working through problems which may be impacting their performance at workplaces.

To access an EASA counsellor, telephone your nearest EASA office to make an appointment. Please advise your supervisor if you are absent during work hours to attend your appointment.

  • Darwin: 08 8941 1752
  • Katherine: 08 8941 1752
  • Alice Springs: 08 8953 4225
  • Outside of the above areas: 1800 193 123

Alternatively contact the University's EAP Coordinator on 08 8946 6592/ 08 8946 7039 or email

EASA also provides training in various areas. Visit the EASA website for further information and contact details.


All continuing employees, and fixed-term employees where the period of appointment is two years or more, are entitled to receive employer contributions to UniSuper at the rate of 17% of their superannuable salary.

Employees engaged on a full-time or part-time basis where the appointment is for a period of less than two (2) years, are entitled to employer contributions to UniSuper at the rate specified in the Superannuation Guarantee Legislation.

Casual employees are entitled to an employer superannuation contribution as specified in the Superannuation Guarantee Legislation.

Find out what's happening with UniSuper at Charles Darwin University.

Salary Packaging

Charles Darwin University offers staff members the opportunity to negotiate the structure of their salary payments through Salary Packaging.

If you are interested in finding out more about salary packaging please contact any or all of the appointed CDU providers below:

Complaints Management System

All staff at the University should feel free to raise any matter of concern relating to the conduct of others at the University, administrative actions, facilities or other issues you believe the University should be aware of.

Submit your complaint through the on-line Complaints Management System at

Alternatively you may contact the Complaints Officer at the Office of Leadership and Organisational Culture on 08 8946 7738 or email

Campus Maps

To help you find your way around the campus have a look at the campus maps below. Assembly areas for fire and emergency evacuation are also shown on some maps.

Alice Springs




  • Nhulunbuy Training Centre map


CDU Organisational Chart

Copyright and Disclaimer | ABN 54 093 513 649 | CRICOS Provider No: 00300K(NT) | CRICOS Provider No: 03286A (NSW) | RTO Provider No: 0373