BSc (Hons) PhD
Head of School - School of Psychological and Clinical Sciences
My main area of interest and expertise is in the psychological aspects of diabetes care and management. My particular interests are in:
- diabetes specific distress and depression - how to disentangle and treat these
- diabetes during the teenage years
- diabetes and chronic disease care for rural and remote communities
- patient-provider communication and how it goes wrong
- personal illness models, their structure and how they shape or emotionally respond to disease and how we choose to manage it.
Current Research Projects
Morrison, D, Skinner, TC & McCleod, C, Information Processing Under Stress: Community Reactions. Commonwealth Department of Innovation, Industry Science and Research: CRC Bush Fires. $1,200,000.
Dunbar, J, Best, JD, Janus, ED, Carter, RC, Oats, J, Skinner, TC, Carnie, J & Phillips, P, Preventing Diabetes in Pregnancy from Progressing to Type 2 Diabetes: Macrolevel System Change in South Australia and Victoria. NHMRC 533956 $3,292,000.
This is a multi centre trial of a diabetes prevention program for women post Gestational Diabetes.
MILES (Diabetes Miles Study)
This study is led by the Australian Centre for Behavioural Research in Diabetes (ACBRD). I am working with Prof Speight and Dr Browne on the distinction between depression and diabetes distress, and the role of illness beliefs in shaping the way people choose to manage their diabetes.
The Fremantle Diabetes Study Phase II: A community-based study of diabetes care, control, complications and cost NHMRC
As an AI in this study, I am looking at personality, depression and distress in a longitudinal cohort study, led by Prof Timothy Davies at UWA.
Centre of Research Excellence in Primary Health Care Microsystems. Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute.
As part of this CRE I am working with Prof Dunbar and Prof Eaking with Dr Lim, looking at delivery of a diabetes prevention program to women in rural and remote areas, following Gestational Diabetes.
This is in collaboration with La Trobe University (Dr Perrin), University of Tasmania (Prof Ellis) and the public podiatry services in Bendigo, North and North West Tasmania, looking at the presentation and outcomes of diabetes foot care in regional and rural Australia.
Recently Completed or Current Research Students
- Porter, C, Ellis, IK & Skinner TC, What is the impact of diabetes for Australian Aboriginal women when pregnant?
- Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 93(1), e29-e32.
- Porter, C, Ellis, IK & Skinner, TC 2012, The current state of Indigenous and Aboriginal women with diabetes in pregnancy; a systematic review. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 98(2), 209-225.
- Geoffrey Crack, Launceston, TAS – Geoff's work is looking rural and remote men's experience and engagement with diabetes.
- Linda Jaffrey, Devonport, TAS – Linda has only just commenced her PhD, which has a focus on mindfulness programs in rural Australia.
- Helen Edwards, Adelaide, SA – Helen's research is focused on the experience of diabetes in pregnancy.
- Orla Neylon, Melbourne, Vic (Ireland) - Orla's work is focused on the use of insulin infusion pumps, and continuous glucose monitoring systems in adolescents with diabetes, and who these technologies are most useful for.
- Laura West, Melbourne, Vic – Laura is looking at the role of play therapy for siblings of children with disabilities.
- Joesephine Downs, Darwin, NT - Jo is looking at health care professionals attitudes towards play therapy and barriers to its use.
- Neylon, O, Cameron, F & Skinner,TC 2013, Demographic and Personal Factors Associated with Metabolic Control and Self-Care in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews. 29(4). 257-272.
- Susan Wearne, Alice Springs, NT – Susan's work is focused on the remote supervision of geographically isolated GP trainees.
- Wearne, S, Dornan, T, Teunissen, PW, Skinner, T, Twelve tips on how to set up postgraduate training via remote clinical supervision. Med Teach 2013. In press.
- Wearne, S, Dornan, T, Skinner, TC, Teunessen, PW 2012, Clinical supervisors of family physician postgraduate education. Critical review. Medical Education. 46(12) 1161–1173.
- Shenooka Nanthakumar, Perth, WA – Shenooka's thesis is focused on depression in people with obstructive sleep apnoea, and how to disentangle the different conditions.
- Ellis, IK, Cheek, Cm Jaffray, L & Skinner, TC 2013, Making a case for telehealth: measuring the carbon cost of health-related travel. Rural and Remote Health. Accepted August 2013
- Perrin, B, Swerissen, H, Payne, C & Skinner, TC 2013,The cognitive representations of peripheral neuropathy and the self reported foot-care behaviour of people at high risk of diabetes-related foot complications. Diabetic Medicine. Accepted 9th July 2013.
- Lawn, S. Delany, T, Sweet, L & Skinner, TC 2013, Battersby, Control in chronic condition self-care management: How it occurs in the health worker-client relationship, and implications for client empowerment. Journal of Advanced Nursing. Accepted 22nd May 2013
- Due P de Beuafort, C, Damsgaard, M, Mortensne, H, Rasmussen, M, Ahluwalia, N & Skinner, TC, Swift PGE 2013, Pediatric Diabetes. Do eating behaviours in the general population account for country variance in glycaemic control among adolescents with diabetes: the Hvidoere Study Group and the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Study. Accepted 19th March.
- Speight, J, Conn, J, Dunning, T, Holmes-Truscott, E, & Skinner, TC 2012, Words on diabetes: the power of language. Diabetes Voice Accepted February 2012
- Skinner, TC, McNeil, L, Olaithe, M, Eastwood, P, Hillman, D, Phang, J, de Regt, T & Bucks, RS 2013, Predicting uptake of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy in Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA): a belief-based theoretical approach. Sleep and Breathing. Accepted 4th March 2013.
- Thomas, M, Loftus, A, Whitworth, S, Gasson, N, Baker, R, Skinner, TC & Bucks R 2013, Psychological coping mediates personality and health-related quality of life in Parkinson's disease. Journal of Parkinson's Disease. Accepted 9th January 2013
- Skinner, TC, Blick, J, Coffin, J, Dudgeon, P, Forrest, S & Morrison, D, Comparative Validation of Self-Report Measures of Negative Attitudes Towards Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islanders. Rural and Remote Health. Accepted 28th November
- McNeill, I, Dunlop, P, Skinner, TC & Morrison, D 2012, Expecting the Unexpected: Predicting Physiological and Psychological Wildfire Preparedness from Perceived Risk, Responsibility, and Obstacles. Risk Analysis. Accepted December 2012.
- Waters, L, Charlton, S & Skinner, TC 2012, Pilot evaluation of anterior dynamic ultrasound screening for developmental dysplasia of the hip in an Australian regional hospital. Rural and Remote Health. Accepted 18th September 2012.
- Delany, T, Lawn, S, Sweet, L, Skinner, TC & Battersby, M 2012, Information sharing during care planning for chronic condition management. Australian Journal of Primary Health. Accepted 24th July 2012.
- Wearne, S, Dornan, T, Teunissen, PW & Skinner, T 2013, Twelve tips on how to set up postgraduate training via remote clinical supervision. Med Teach 2013. In press.
- Olaithe, M, Skinner, TC, Clarke, J, Eastwood, P & Bucks, T 2013, Can we get more from the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) than just a single score? A Confirmatory Factor Analysis of the ESS. Sleep and Breathing. 2013 May;17(2):763-9
- Skinner, TC, Allen, P, Peach, E, Browne, JL, Pouwer, F, Speight, J & Dunbar, J 2013, Does the shortage of diabetes specialists in regional and rural Australia matter? Results from Diabetes MILES – Australia. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice Revised. 100(2) 222-229.
- Neylon, O, Cameron, F & Skinner, TC 2013, Demographic and Personal Factors Associated with Metabolic Control and Self-Care in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews. 29(4). 257-272.
- Murphy, HR, Wadham, C, Hassler-Hurst, J, Rayman, G & Skinner, TC 2012, Families and Adolescents Communication and Teamwork Study (FACTS) Group. Randomized trial of a diabetes self-management education and family teamwork intervention in adolescents with Type 1 diabetes. Diabet Med. ;29(8):e249-54.
- Porter, C, Ellis, IK & Skinner, TC 2012, The current state of Indigenous and Aboriginal women with diabetes in pregnancy; a systematic review. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 98(2), 209-225
- Wearne, S, Dornan, T, Skinner ,TC & Teunessen, PW 2012, Clinical supervisors of family physician postgraduate education. Critical review. Medical Education. 46(12) 1161–1173.
- Heaven, P, Ciarrochi, J, Skinner, TC & Vialle, WJ 2012, Cognitive ability and health-related behaviors during adolescence: A prospective study across five years. Intelligence. 40 (4), 317-324.
- Speight, J, Conn, J, Dunning, T & Skinner, TC 2012, on behalf of Diabetes Australia 2012, A new language for diabetes: improving communications with and about people with diabetes. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 97(3) 425-431.
- Condon, S, Ellis, I, Cummings, E, Orpin, P & Skinner, T 2012, The experience of developing an electronic Advance Care Plan for residents of aged care facilities in Australia. Medetel: Global Telemedicine and eHealth Updates/Knowledge Resources, Malina Joranova & Frank Lievens (Eds.) Vol 5, 586-592.
- Khunti, K, Gray, LJ, Skinner, TC, Carey, ME, Realf, K, Dallosso, H, Fisher, H, Campbell, M, Heller, S & Davies MJ 2012, Effectiveness of the diabetes education and self-management for ongoing and newly diagnosed (DESMOND) structured education programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus: three year follow-up of a multicentre cluster randomised controlled trial in primary care. BMJ 2012;344:e2333 doi: 10.1136/bmj.e2333
- Jiwa, M, Meng, X, Sriram, D, Hughes, J, Colagiuri, S, Twigg, S, Skinner, TC & Shaw, T 2012, The Management of Type 2 Diabetes: A Survey of Australian General Practitioners. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice; 95 (3) 326-332
- Roberton, T, Bucks, RS, Skinner, TC, Allison, GT & Dunlop, SA 2011, Barriers to Physical Activity in Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury: A West Australian Study. Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counselling, 17(2) 74-88.
- Porter, C, Ellis IK, Skinner, TC 2011, What is the impact of diabetes for Australian Aboriginal women when pregnant? Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 93(1), e29-e32
- Sibley, AM, Latter, S, Skinner, TC, Cradock, S, Zinken, KM, Lussier, MT, Richarc, C & Reoberge, D 2011, Medicine discussion between nurse prescribers and people with diabetes: An analysis of content and participation using MEDICODE. Journal of Advanced Nursing; 67(11):2323-36
- Zinken, J, Bulter, L & Skinner, TC 2011, Evaluating skills for the narrative integration of distressing experiences: Associations between cross-clausal syntax of written texts and psychological distress. Applied Psycholinguistics, 32: 263-274
- Cruise, KE, Bucks, RS, Skinner, TC 2011, Loftus, A, Barker, R & Thomas, MG, Do Coping Processes Influence Quality of Life in Parkinson's disease? International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 26(3), 247-255.
- Speight, J, Dunning, T, Holmes-Truscott, E & Skinner, TC 2011, A new language for diabetes: Improving communications with and about people with diabetes. Diabetes Management Journal, 37,4-5.
- Crasto, W, Jarvis, J, Khunti, K, Skinner, TC, Gray, KJ, Brela, J, Troughton, J, Daly, H, Lawrence, IG, McNally, PG, Carey, ME & Davies MJ 2011, Multifactorial intervention in individuals with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria: The Microalbuminuria Education and Medication Optimisation (MEMO) study. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 93(3), 328-336
- Aujla, N, Davies, MJ, Skinner, TC, Gray, L, Webb, D, Srinivasan, B & Khunti, K 2011, The association between anxiety and measure of glycaemia in a population based screening programme. Diabetic Medicine; 28, 785–788
- Eigenmann, CA, Skinner, TC & Colagiuri, R 2011, Development and Validation of a Diabetes Knowledge Questionnaire. Practical Diabetes International; 28(4),166–170.
- Skinner, TC, Carey, ME, Cradock, S, Dalloss,o HM, Daly, H, Davies, MJ, Doherty, Y, Heller, S, Khunti, K & Oliver, L 2011, on behalf of The DESMOND Collaborative. Comparison of Illness Representations Dimensions and Illness Representation Clusters in Predicting Outcomes in the First Year Following Diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes: Results from the DESMOND trial. Psychology and Health. 26(3), 321-335.
- Lawrence, W, Schlotz, W, Crozier, S, Skinner, TC, Haslam, C, Robinson, S, Inskip, H, Cooper, C & Barker, M, Specific psychological variables predict quality of diet in women of lower, but not higher, educational attainment. Appetite, 56(1): 46-52.
- Gillett, M, Dallosso, HM, Dixon, S, Brennan, A, Carey, ME, Campbell, MJ, Heller, S, Khunti, K, Skinner, TC & Davies, MJ, The Cost Effectiveness of Delivering the DESMOND Intervention (Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) for People Newly Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. British Medical Journal. BMJ 2010;341:c4093 doi:10.1136/bmj.c4093
- Murphy, H, Roland, JM, Skinner, TC, Simmons, D, Gurnell, E, Morrish, N, Soo, SC, Kelly, S, Lim, B, Randall, J, Thompsett, S & Temple, R, Effectiveness of a regional prepregnancy care programme in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: benefits beyond glycaemic control. Diabetes Care, 33:2514-2520.
- Aujla, N, Skinner, TC, Khunti, K & Davies, MJ, The prevalence of depressive symptoms in a White-European and South-Asian population with impaired glucose regulation and screen-detected Type 2 diabetes mellitus: A comparison of WHO-5 and CES-D screening tools. Diabetic Medicine, 27(8):896-905.
- Skinner, TC, Carey, ME, Cradock, S, Dallosso, HM, Daly, H, Davies, MJ, Doherty, Y, Heller, S, Khunti, K & Oliver, L 2010, on behalf of The DESMOND Collaborative. Depressive Symptoms in the First Year from Diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes: Results from the DESMOND Trial. Diabetic Medicine, 27(8):965-7.
- Gray, LJ, Tringham, JR, Davies, MJ, Webb, DR, Jarvis, J, Skinner, TC, Farooqi, AM & Khunti, K 2010, Screening for Type 2 Diabetes in a multiethnic setting using known risk factors to identify those at high risk: a cross- sectional study. Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management, Oct 5;6:837-42.
- Skinner, TC, Lawson, S & Robertson, N 2010, Using Common Sense to Explain Diabetes Self-Care. International Diabetes Monitor, 22(6), 259-264.
- Zinken, J, Skinner, TC, Butler, L, Zinken, K & Wilson, C 2010, Analysis of syntax and word use to predict successful participation in guided self-help for anxiety and depression. Psychiatry Research, 179, 181-186.
- Polonsky, WH & Skinner, TC 2010, Perceived Treatment Efficacy: An Overlooked Opportunity in Diabetes Care. Clinical Diabetes, 28 89-92
- Latter, S, Sibley, A, Skinner, TC, Cradock, S, Zinken, KM, Lussier, MT, Richard, C & Reoberge, D 2010, The impact of an intervention for nurse prescribers on consultations to promote patient medicine-taking in diabetes: a mixed methods study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47, 1126-1138.
- Skinner, TC, Roberton, T, Allison, GT, Dunlop, S & Bucks, RS 2010, Experiential Avoidance, Mindfulness and Depression in Spinal Cord Injuries: A preliminary study. Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counselling, 16(1); 27-35.
- Swift, PGF, Skinner, TC, de Beaufort, CE & Cameron, FJ 2010, For the Hvidoere Study Group on Childhood Diabetes. Target setting in Intensive Insulin Management is Associated with Metabolic Control: the Hvidoere Childhood Diabetes Study Group Centre Differences Study 2005. Paediatric Diabetes, 11(4), 271-278.
- Ali, S, Khunti, K, Stone, M, Robertson, N, Skinner, TC & Davies, MJD 2010, The Association between depression and health-related quality of life in people with Type 2 diabetes: A systematic literature review. Diabetes Metabolism: Research and Reviews 2010 26(2) 75-89.
- Khunti, K, Taub, N, Tringham, J, Jarvis, J, Farooqi, A, Skinner, TC & Davies, MJ. Screening for the metabolic syndrome using simple anthropometric measurements in south Asian and white Europeans: A population-based screening study. The Leicester Ethnic Atherosclerosis and Diabetes Risk (LEADER) Study. Primary Care Diabetes, 4: 25–32.
- Skinner, TC & Cameron, FJ, Improving metabolic control in children and adolescents: what aspects of therapy really matter? Diabetic Medicine, 27(4):369-375.
- Jarvis, J, Skinner, TC, Carey, ME & Davies, MJ, How can structured self management patient education improve outcomes in people with Type 2 Diabetes? Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 12(1):12-19.
- Murphy, HR, Temple, RC, Ball, VE, Roland, JM, Steel, S, Zill-E-Huma, R, Simmons, D, Royce, LR & Skinner, TC, Personal experiences of women with diabetes who do not attend prepregnancy care. Diabetic Medicine, 27(1): 92-100
- Smith, L, Kalus, C, Russell, P & Skinner, TC 2009, Exploring current service provision for Prolonged Grief Disorder and suggestions for future advances. Mortality, 14(1):53–69.
- Eigenmann, CA, Colagiuri, R, Skinner, TC & Trevena, L 2009, Are Current Psychometric Tools suitable for Measuring Outcomes of Diabetes Education? Diabetic Medicine, 26:425–438
- Åman, J, Skinner, TC, de Beaufort, C & Swift 2009, PGE, Associations between physical activity, sedentary behaviour and glycemic control in a large cohort of adolescents with type 1 diabetes: The Hvidoere Study Group on Childhood Diabetes. Pediatric Diabetes, 10: 234–239.
- Bucks, RS, Hawkins, K, Skinner, TC, Horn, S, Seddon, P & Horne, R 2009, Adherence to Treatment in Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis: The Role of Illness Perceptions and Treatment Beliefs. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 34: 893-902.
- Aujla, N, Abrams, KR, Davies, MJ, Taub, N, Skinner, TC & Khunti, K 2009, The prevalence of depression in White-European and South-Asian people with impaired glucose regulation and screen-detected Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Public Library of Science, 4 (11):e7755.
- Lawrence, W, Barker, M, Skinner, TC, Haslam, C, Robinson, S, Inskip, H, Margetts, B, Jackson, A, Barker, D & Cooper, C 2009, Why women of lower educational attainment struggle to make healthier food choices: the importance of psychological and social factors. Psychology & Health, 24(9):1003–1020
- Shaban, C, Fosbury, JA, Cavan, DA, Kerr, D & Skinner, TC 2009, The relationship between generic and diabetes specific psychological factors and glycaemic control in adults with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 85(3):e26-e29.
- Skinner, TC & Ellis, IK 2009, Tale of Two Courthouses A Critique of the Underlying Assumptions in Chronic Disease Self-Management for Aboriginal People. Australasian Medical Journal, 14(1): 235-238.
- Barker, M, Woadden, J, Crozier, S, Lawrence, W & Skinner, TC 2008, Women of lower educational attainment have lower food involvement and eat fewer fruits and vegetables. Appetite, 50: 464–468.
- Davies, MJ, Heller, S, Skinner, TC, Campbell, MJ, Carey, ME, Cradock, S, Dallosso, HM, Daly, H, Doherty, Y, Eaton, S, Fox, C, Oliver, L, Rantell, K, Rayman, G & Khunti, K 2008, on behalf of the Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed Collaborative. Effectiveness of a structured group education programme on individuals newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes: A cluster randomised controlled trial of the DESMOND programme. British Medical Journal, 336: 491 – 495.
- Davies, MJ, Heller, S, Khunti, K & Skinner, TC 2008, The DESMOND educational intervention. Chronic Illness 2008; 4: 38-40.
- Asimakopoulou, KG, Skinner, TC, Fox, C, Spimpolo, J & Marsh, S 2008, Unrealistic pessimism about risk of Coronary Heart Disease and stroke in patients with type 2 diabetes. Patient Education Counselling, 71(1):95-101.
- Cameron, FJ, Skinner, TC & de Beaufort, CE 2008, for and on behalf of the Hvidoere Study Group on Childhood Diabetes. Are family factors universally related to metabolic outcomes in adolescents with Type 1 diabetes? Diabetic Medicine, 25(4):463-469.
- Troughton, J, Jarvis, J, Skinner, TC, Robertson, N, Khunti, K & Davies, MJ 2008, Waiting for diabetes: Perceptions of people with pre-diabetes: A qualitative study Patient Education and Counselling, 72(1): 88-93.
- Zinken, K, Cradock, S & Skinner, TC 2008, Development and utilisation of the Analysis System for Self-Efficacy Training (ASSET). Patient Education and Counselling, 72: 186–193.
- Skinner, TC, Carey, ME, Cradock, S, Dallosso, HM, Daly, H, Davies, MJ, Doherty, Y, Heller, S, Khunti, K & Oliver, L 2008, on behalf of The DESMOND Collaborative. 'Educator talk' and patient change: some insights from the DESMOND (Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) randomised controlled trial. Diabetic Medicine, 25(9): 1117-1119.
- Asimakopoulou, KG, Fox, C, Spimpolo, J, Marsh, S & Skinner, TC 2008, The impact of different time frames of risk communication on type 2 diabetes patients' understanding and memory for risk of Coronary Heart Disease and stroke. Diabetic Medicine, 25:811–817.
- Barker, M, Lawrence, W, Skinner, TC, Haslam, C, Robinson, S, Inskip, H, Margetts, B, Jackson, A, Barker, D & Cooper, C 2008, Constraints on food choices of women with lower educational attainment in the UK. Public Health Nutrition, 26(11):1229-1237.
- Chadwick, P, Newell, T, & Skinner, TC 2008, Mindfulness and Palliative Care: A Pilot Qualitative Study. Spirituality and Health International, 9: 135–144.
- Barnard, K & Skinner, TC, Cross-Sectional Study into Quality of Life Issues Surrounding Insulin Pump use in Type 1 Diabetes. Practical Diabetes International 2008; 25(5): 194–200.
- Barnard, K, Speight, J & Skinner, TC 2008, Effectiveness of a regional prepregnancy care programme in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: benefits beyond glycaemic control, Quality of Life and the Impact of CSII on Children/Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Parents. Practical Diabetes International, 25(7): 278-284.
- Khunti, K, Skinner, TC, Heller, S, Carey, ME, Dallosso, HM & Davies, MJ 2008, On behalf of the DESMOND Collaborative. Biomedical, lifestyle and psychosocial characteristics of the DESMOND collaborative: Baseline data from the DESMOND randomised controlled trial. Diabetic Medicine, 25(12):1454-61.
- Skinner, TC, Anstey, C, Baird, S, Foreman, M, Kelly, A & Magee, C 2008, Mindfulness and Stress Reactivity: A Preliminary Investigation. Spirituality and Health International, 9(4): 241-248.