- About us
- Collaborative Partners
- Our People
The Northern Institute - People • Policy • Place
The Northern Institute (NI) delivers excellence in research and research leadership that seeks to understand development and the interactions of people, policy and place. NI's research and research training programs provide evidence for policy development, build capacity and respond to the needs of governments and communities in the region.
The Northern Institute (NI) acts as a catalyst to build capacity in social research and policy research that impacts on people's lives and aspires to an inclusive, sustainable future for people in northern Australia and the neighbouring regions.
The Northern Institute undertakes interdisciplinary research in the areas of social and public policy that is critically important to central and northern Australia and its near neighbours.The Institute builds on the strength related to living in remote, regional and urban contexts and focuses on issues of importance around the intersections of people, policy and place.
NI's research program and activities aim to provide evidence for policy development, generate informed debate, build the capacity of social researchers and respond to the needs of government and non-government agencies and communities in the region. The Institute brings together knowledgeable and skilled people to undertake social and public policy research in desert, tropical, regional and remote contexts.
Researchers lead analysis of complex issues in regional and remote settings that impact on people, policy, practice and public awareness. This research is recognised nationally and internationally for innovative design and relevant outcomes.
The Northern Institute's success is measured by its contribution and ability to undertake research related to people, policy and place and its ability to:
- speak independently from a sound evidence base on social and public policy research
- attract high quality researchers and research funding
- conduct world class innovative research
- broker research partnerships with government, community and industry
- develop the capacity of people in the region to engage in, lead and use research undertaken through the institute
- disseminate research outputs through contributions to high impact, peer reviewed journals, books, reports and other public media.
- Climate change to mobilise Indigenous communities
- Population research highlights revenue loss for NT
- Report shows refugee experience improving in Australia
- Dr Andrew Taylor talks to Territory Talk about his recent trip to Greenland
- TNI's Dr Andrew Taylor talks to the ABC's 7.30 report about demography of seat of Nightcliff
- ABC's 730 Report 'Tourism Woes' includes interview with Professor Dean Carson
- Researcher poised for NT population snapshot
- NT wallaby numbers in spotlight
- Alice music student wins spot at BASSINTHEGRASS
- Chinese art on display in NT
- Students join search for missing Malaysia Airlines plane
- Living artworks push boundaries of conservation
- CDU’s Northline Oval chosen for international cricket
- Emerging artist takes out youth award
- CDU appoints new director for Katherine region
Latest media videos - Wild rice as a niche product