VET Student Guide 2018

Enrolment process

Open all | Close all

To commence or continue studying in 2018, you will need to enrol. Once you have selected the course(s) in which you would like to enrol, you should complete the details on the VET101 – VET Enrolment Form, and then arrange a time with the relevant team leader or delegate to discuss and complete your enrolment.

Some courses are available for online application and enrolment. This a two-step process - the application stage followed by the enrolment stage once the application has been approved. These courses can be applied for online.

Accepted enrolments formalise arrangements between students and CDU. It indicates your commitment to complete one or more units, a full course or qualification. It also implies CDU's commitment to provide the best quality services, including: course delivery, the administrative processes associated with your student experience from enrolment to graduation, and the facilities and equipment we provide to support the delivery programs.

If you would like additional information about enrolment, to clarify any issues or have any questions, we encourage you to contact the industry team relevant to your course.

Every student undertaking a nationally recognised VET course will require a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This initiative will allow the student to receive a complete record of all the accredited VET courses they undertake from 1 January 2015. A USI gives you access to your online USI account which will help to keep all your training records together.

You can apply for your USI online or authorise CDU to apply on your behalf. The USI must be provided to CDU before you can receive your Statements of Attainment or Qualification. For more information about your USI visit the CDU USI website.

What is RPL?

RPL is the process by which your existing skills, knowledge and experience gained throughout your life – regardless of how they have been acquired – can be recognised towards the achievement of a nationally recognised qualification or competency.

These existing skills may have been obtained through:

  • work experience
  • voluntary work
  • school
  • life experience
  • sporting experience.

What are the benefits of RPL for me?

RPL can result in the awarding of nationally recognised qualifications or a group of competencies (ie. for part of a qualification rather than a whole qualification).

Benefits of RPL:

  • You will have your skills recognised.
  • It saves you time in achieving a qualification as you do not have to repeat learning or undertake training for skills and knowledge you already have.
  • It enables you to identify gaps in your knowledge and skills and, therefore, any learning that needs to occur to meet the requirements of a particular job role or qualification.
RPL is not difficult. It is a flexible assessment process, which can vary from one applicant to another – even when addressing the same qualification. Typically, the process involves an assessment of your existing skills and knowledge to determine the competencies you have. The assessment is aligned with relevant types of supporting evidence, but it is not necessarily dependent upon any one type of evidence, instead all evidence is viewed holistically. RPL application fees apply.

Examples of possible evidence:
  • practical demonstrations – in the workplace or simulated environment via video/DVD, or web tools;
  • portfolio
  • CV/resumé, job descriptions;
  • competency conversations;
  • third party evidence such as references and support from supervisors;
  • training certificates;
  • performance reviews.

I would like to find out more

For further information, relating to RPL, refer to the Applicant's guide to RPL or contact,

VET RPL Enquiries.
T: 1800 238 838

As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), CDU recognises qualifications and Statements of Attainment issued by other Australian RTO's for VET accredited courses recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework. You are encouraged to submit requests for credit from previous studies when enrolling to ensure that you are not enrolling in units you may not need to undertake. To apply for credit transfer from units completed at CDU or another training organisation, complete a VET110 – Application for Credit Transfer (Recognition of Previous Studies) form.

To support your request for credit transfer, submit your completed VET110 – Application for Credit Transfer (Recognition of Previous Studies) form, together with attached documentary evidence (certified copy of Qualification/ Statement of Attainment) to support your request for credit transfer) directly to your relevant industry team. Requests without documentary evidence will not be processed and will be returned to students. There are no fees attached to credit transfers.

You must enrol before the start of the course. Prior to enrolling, contact the relevant team to discuss the course and study options that are suited to your needs, the minimum entry and eligibility requirements, and any prior skill recognition and learning you have that can be accredited towards your course.

Courses that are available for online application and enrolment can be applied through the online application form, for all other courses, complete the VET101 – VET Enrolment Form.

Enrolment form:  If you have completed the VET101 – VET Enrolment Form, your information will be entered into the University's Student Management System by a Customer Service Officer in the industry team responsible for the delivery of your course. Customer Service Officers are your first point of contact if you have any queries about the status or details of your enrolment. 

Online Application: If you applied for the course online, you will be contacted by a staff member to discuss course requirements and enrolment. Once your application is approved, you will receive an offer email with instructions for you to enrol in the course. Follow the instructions to activate your computer account and enrol online. Team contact details, including campus, phone numbers and email addresses, are listed on the team contacts page.

Students who have studied previously at CDU (or NTU or Centralian College) already have a Student Number. Your Student Number is unique and will remain the same while you are a student at the University. New students will be issued with a Student Number when their enrolment is processed electronically at the University. Your Student Number will be printed on all communications from CDU. Please include your student number on all correspondence with the University.

To activate your student computer account, visit the ‘Current Students’ section of the CDU website, select 'My CDU', ‘My computer account’, then ‘Activate my computer account via Student Identity Manager'. Follow the steps to activate your account. Your username is 's' followed by your Student Number (e.g. s123456).

Activation of your account must be done before you can enrol in units online, use the University computer labs, internet or email. You can activate your computer account using the general access computers at Student Central, the library or the IT Kiosk. If you are not on campus, you can activate your account from any computer that has internet access. For more information visit ITMS Student accounts

After activating your computer account, go to MyStudentInfo to enrol in your units. Your User ID is 's' followed by your student number (e.g. s123456) and password that you set up. Follow the instructions sent by your industry team Customer Service Officer to complete all the steps and enrol in the units as per your study plan. Contact your industry team Customer Service Officer if you haven't received your study plan. Contact details are listed on the team contacts page.

The Enrolment and Fees Advice-Invoice serves several purposes. It lists your personal details, your Student Number, the course and units you have enrolled in, as well as the fees you need to pay and when.

Check your Advice–Invoice to ensure all details have been recorded accurately. Contact the Customer Service Officer relevant to your course immediately if you have any queries. Their details will be shown at the top of the Advice–Invoice.

Yes, but you must have activated your computer account to view your enrolment details. To view your details, log into MyStudentInfo using your User ID (student number followed by 's' and password). Once logged in, you can view your enrolment details, fees, results and personal details.

Once you have enrolled you may start attending classes.  You do not have to wait to receive your Advice-Invoice, or any other form of written confirmation of enrolment, before you attend classes. If you are an apprentice, you will receive a letter advising you of class attendance dates.

If your course is timetabled, the published timetables are accessible on the CDU Timetables page. The published timetable will be subject to change, but CDU will try to minimise changes. Changes will be updated automatically to the web. It is your responsibility to check this information periodically. If you have any questions or are unable to find the timetable for your class on the web, contact your industry team Customer Service Officer.

If you have elected to study units in external mode, you will either:

  • be sent printed materials so you can complete the unit or
  • receive access to CDU Learnline.

It is important to check your study requirements carefully as external units vary. For example, some units are self-paced, while others have set deadlines for completion of work. When enrolling in external units, you must indicate the mode as 'E' for each external unit on your VET101 – VET Enrolment Form or select the unit with the mode as 'E' if enrolling online. This will ensure study materials are sent in a timely manner.

When enrolling in units that are supported or delivered fully online using Learnline, you should indicate the mode as 'M' for each unit on your VET101 – VET Enrolment Form or select the unit with the mode as 'M' if enrolling online.

If you enrol in units supported by print based student materials, you will receive an email that contains important information about the material sent to you. If you have not received your material within 10 working days from the date of the email, please either check at your local post office or contact CDU straight away on the details in the email.

If you have any concerns relating to any of these issues, contact:

Your industry team's Customer Service Officer, alternatively you can contact:

Learnline Student Support
T: 1800 559 347

Where can I obtain a Student ID card?

When your enrolment has been processed and confirmed, you are entitled to a Student ID card. You will be required to show photo identification (Australian driver's licence or passport) before your card will be issued. Your card can be obtained at:

Casuarina Campus: Student Central, located on the ground floor in Building Orange 1
Palmerston Campus: Building A
Alice Springs Campus: Student Central, Building 1
Darwin Waterfront: Student Central, 21 Kitchener Drive, Darwin

External students can apply to obtain a Student ID card by completing a Student Cards eForm.

What is my ID card used for?

Your Student ID card provides access to University facilities such as the Library, after-hours computer labs, some discounts at the University Bookshop and other discounts where notified by the business concerned. You will be required to show your Student ID card when you sit for your exams. If you are studying on campus and using the facilities after normal hours, you may be asked for your Student ID card by Security.

Head coverings and my Student ID card photo

Head coverings are not permitted to be worn, except for religious reasons − in which case, facial features from the bottom of the chin to the top of the forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown. The University will take every measure possible to ensure privacy for students wearing head coverings for religious reasons.

Is there a cost for my Student ID card?

Student ID cards are issued to students free of charge. A $15 administration fee will apply when a lost card is replaced. Stolen cards can be replaced free of charge when the application is accompanied by a police incident number.