CDU chinese gardens

Chinese In-Country language program

Anhui Normal University


Founded in 1928, Anhui Normal University is a key normal university and a comprehensive university with full support from the provincial government. It is one of the earliest institutions of higher education appointed by the State to receive Chinese government scholarship international students, and one of the first national educational bases of Chinese language and culture for foreign students. In addition, it has been honoured as one of 'the ten most beautiful Chinese universities'.

Wuhu is the second largest city in Anhui Province, with picturesque scenery, mild climate, advanced economy, stable society, convenient transportation and comfortable living circumstances, making it one of the twenty most popular cities among foreigners. The university lies along the lower Yangtze River, with Nanjing and Shanghai to its east and Jiu Hua Mountain and Yellow Mountain to the south. It is just an hour's drive from Nanjing airport.

CDU's in-country programs in Chinese, Greek and Indonesian combine rigorous coursework, taught by friendly and supportive teachers, with cultural immersion and daily interaction with native speakers. Some scholarship money is available to defray expenses; please see under 'Summary of Expenses' below.



Open all | Close all

Overview of the Program

The Chinese In-Country Program can be taken either for university credit or as a non-award course. For the latter, please see the information later under 'I intend take to undertake non-award course study'.

For university study, the in-country program allows you to complete a full unit of Mandarin Chinese study in little over four intensive weeks, an advantage for those who do not have more time to spare. The China in-country program will take place from 26 November until 21 December 2018.

Anhui Normal's program will have three levels of Chinese, for relative beginners, intermediate and more advanced students. These do not correspond to any of the six levels of the CDU Chinese program in a straightforward way; you will be placed in an appropriate level after taking a test at the start of the program.

You can enrol in all Chinese units offered in the Summer Semester at CDU according to your level. It will strengthen your ability to use the language, but it may or may not enable you to skip a unit in the six-semester sequence.

The program combines an engaging mix of language study and cultural activities. Students should expect about three hours of language study each weekday morning, a weekly one-to-one session with a Chinese tutor and occasional cultural activities on some afternoons, and some provision for local excursions on weekends. The program caters for adults (18 years of age or older), from complete beginners to more advanced students.

Application and enrolment procedures

The first step is to complete an Application for Selection Form and send it to CDU's School of Creative Arts and Humanities as soon as possible, and in any case no later than 31 August 2018.

Soon after that date, you will be informed of whether you have been accepted and whether you can receive a scholarship.

You will then be asked to confirm your participation in the program since the process needed for you to obtain a student visa must begin straightaway in China. At that time you should also submit a Supplementary Details form, which provides a checklist of the various details you must attend to, and which also gives us necessary information about your travel arrangements and next of kin in case of an emergency.

You will also sign an agreement to respect the authority of the Australian and Chinese lecturers and to not engage in unacceptable behaviour, which may put the welfare or learning of other students at risk. What else you need to do depends on the type of student category you belong to.

CDU will also confirm your acceptance into the program at this time, so you can then proceed to arrange your travel, passport and (after receiving anything required from China) visa requirements. There are also certain later CDU requirements you will need to satisfy depending on the type of student you are, as detailed below.

I am already enrolled in a Higher Education course at CDU

If your application is approved you will need to complete an HE101 - Higher Education Enrolment Form (PDF 118KB) to enrol  and submit it some time before the program begins ( ideally no later than November 10, 2017) This provides a basis for billing you for fees. 

I am currently enrolled in an award course at another Australian University

If your application is approved you will need to complete an HE106 - Cross Institutional Enrolment Form (PDF 90KB) to enrol, ensuring that the form is authorised in writing by your home university and is returned to Student Central no later than October 21, 2017. This provides a basis for billing you for fees.

I intend on taking up a non-award course study

People are also welcome to join the in-country program as part of the non-award course program of CDU's Confucius Institute. Non-award students will undertake the same study as higher education students and will have the opportunity to complete the same assessments, but no grades will be recorded within CDU, which will award those attending the program only a certificate of attendance, regardless of their performance. No scholarships are available for non-award study.

Students will pay a course fee of A$700 and, like other students, they will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and living expenses.


Higher education students will receive an official CDU grade on successful completion and will be notified in the normal way at the end of the Summer Semester period.

This in an intensive course for which you are awarded university credit.
You must commit the course the same way you would in a course at home.
Fortunately, you can do this not only through classes and homework but also through organised excursions and your informal mixing with Chinese people in streets, shops, markets, canteens and so on.

Travelling to China

Students must arrange their own travel to China. Please schedule your flights to arrive before the course begins and to depart after it ends, since it is important for you to be present on both the first and last days of the program (26 November and 21 December respectively).

If many students are arriving at about the same time at the same airport (preferably Nanjing), it may be possible for Anhui Normal University to organise inexpensive transportation to its campus. Please seek advice on this before booking your ticket.

Passport and Visa

Students are responsible for having an up-to-date passport and obtaining their own visas to visit China. Australians who do not yet have a passport can find information on how to obtain one at The Australia Passport Office website.

It takes time to organise your passport, so please make sure you have one as soon as possible. With regard to a Chinese visa, Anhui Normal University will advise you on how to proceed. This may require returning a form to them for processing before you then apply to the Chinese embassy or consulate for an appropriate visa, so it may take a number of weeks. If you then apply for a Chinese visa by mail from the NT, this can add several weeks as well. General information about Chinese visas can be found on the website of the Chinese Embassy in Australia. (Those who have visited China previously may find that the visa application form and fees have changed.)

Living in China

Participants are responsible for their own living expenses for the duration of the program. Participants are expected to stay in Anhui Normal accommodation for the duration program.

A dormitory room shared with a second person costs as little as 17 yuan per night per person, which is less than A$60 for the month's stay (at recent exchange rates). Or students can choose to stay at the nearby hotel which will cost approximately 35 Australian dollars per night. Meals can be obtained inexpensively from Anhui Normal dining halls.

Health and Security

It is a requirement of Charles Darwin University that all students of an in-country program must have health and travel insurance, including coverage for accidental injuries, hospitalisation and medical evacuation.

CDU insurance will automatically cover all enrolled students for the duration of the course as long as they are flying directly to and from the location of their course as part of their travel plans. CDU insurance cannot cover any side trips prior to, during or after the in-country program, however. To be covered by the University's travel insurance policy, a 'Movement Request for Official Travel' form needs to be signed and completed prior to travel. This form will be provided to you.

The University has access to private travel insurance that can be utilised by students and the general public. The policy product is called "In-A-Suitcase" and is provided by ACE Insurance Limited.

This may be a useful option, however, we also recommend that you consult other companies to compare policies to find something that best suits your personal circumstances. It is also important that you read the detailed Health and Insurance advice on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Smartraveller website.

Come to China prepared with ample supplies of any medicines and prescriptions you take regularly. It is also your responsibility to inform us of any allergies or medical conditions that may affect your participation in the study program.

Other useful websites include:

There are no special security issues regarding travel to most places in China, but you should exercise the same common sense measures as at home and other travel situations, such as not going out alone at night and keeping out of arguments, political or otherwise.

For general advice on security in China check the Australian Government's Travel Advice for China on

For China more generally there is much useful information on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Country Information for China.

Scholarships and Grants

Please contact the Office of International Services to find out what scholarships are available.

Summary of expenses

Students enrolling in the program through CDU enrol in CDU's Chinese units In-country Language Study. This is an accredited HECS-HELP liable unit and you pay for it in the same way you pay for other CDU units; e.g. domestic students can elect to pay for it upfront or defer their fees.

In addition to that fee, you will need to cover your own cost for travel, visa, insurance, accommodation and living expenses.

You can expect a welcoming function and some excursions to be paid for by the host institution, but you will need to pay yourself for any other excursions, trips or activities that you choose to arrange or become involved in.

We have a limited amount of scholarship money available from the CDU Confucius Institute.
 If there are more applicants than scholarships, then such matters as level and course of study and/or whether a scholarship was received for previous in-country study may be taken into account.

Interested students should apply on the Application for Selection form.

Provision of Information

Participants in any in-country study program are required to supply CDU program administrators with the certain information. Those that may apply to the Chinese in-country program include:

  • primary and secondary emergency contact details in Australia
  • flight details and itinerary
  • transfer details to and from the airport, accommodation and program venue(s) (except as arranged through the program)
  • insurance details (travel and medical)
  • a means for the University or program coordinator to contact the participant immediately (e.g. a mobile phone with 'Global Roaming' capability) in the event of an emergency or natural disaster
  • any special dietary, religious, medical, or assistance requirements
  • photocopies of the participant's passport (with a minimum 6 months validity and adequate pages) and Chinese and (if applicable) Australian visas
  • (accommodation details are not required because students must stay in Anhui Normal accommodation)

Any information supplied to the University will be kept in the strictest confidence.

Information collection, storage and dissemination will be governed by the Information Act (NT) and the University's Privacy Policy.

In addition to application and enrolment forms, all participants will also need to fill out, sign and forward the following documentation to the appropriate program administrators:

  • Indemnity form
  • Movement requisition form (for insurance purposes)
  • DFAT declaration (if applicable at the time)
  • Media release form (so CDU can use pictures of your participation)
  • Insurance details (travel and medical)
  • Medical clearance (from your doctor)
  • An agreement of compliance and undertakings whilst participating in a program.


Ms Amy Yu

In-country Program Coordinator

Lecturer in Chinese Language

Orange 6.3.02
Casuarina campus

T: 08 8946 7736

School of Creative Arts and Humanities

School Admin Leader

Orange 6.1.02
Casuarina campus

T: 08 8946 7404