Changes to placement process
You no longer need to nominate your placement. As a pre-service teacher undertaking professional experience, your placement will be organised through the InSchool placements team. As soon as you have completed your enrolment process you’re automatically on the list for a placement.
You should not make contact with schools until a placement has been confirmed by the placement team.
Timing & location
Placements are guided by the CDU placement calendar dates, and are arranged within the school terms in the state / territory in which you're located.
Confirmation of placement will be sent to your CDU email account upon successful nomination.
Please complete the following documents before nominating your preferred region for placement:
- Pre-service Teacher Agreement (DOCX, 30.11 KB)
- Correct state or territory clearances and screening
- Introductory profile form (DOCX, 51.19 KB)
Placements must be completed as per the confirmed dates. If you wish to change the confirmed placement dates, you must apply for adjustment using the Extenuating Circumstances form (PDF, 115.29 KB).
If you wish to request a variation to the published placement dates, please fill in the Practicum Date Variation Approval Request form (DOCX, 30.22 KB) and email the completed form to InSchool placements for approval.
You may request placement in a specialised setting, such as:
- Steiner or Montessori schools
- special needs schools
- outdoor education-based schooling
Submit your request for a specialised setting, including a link to the school website, to InSchool placements for approval.
If you require clarification for the specialised setting, please email InSchool placements.
- Students may not undertake a placement in a school or centre where they are already employed.
- A pre-service teacher can't receive remuneration in any form for duties carried out during their professional experience.
- Professional experience can't be undertaken in any school/centre where an immediate family member is also located, this includes:
- school staff
- students attending the school.
The age of first-year students in primary school varies considerably between states and territories. Download the Australian compulsory school years table (PDF, 1.13 MB).
Placements must not start prior to semester commencement dates and must allow for a period of course work in preparation for the placement.
Each placement must be nominated prior to commencement to allow for confirmation by the InSchool team.