FAQ illustration

Emergency FAQ

Business continuity Emergencies Emergency evacuation assembly areas Evacuations First Aid Officers Further information Hazards Incidents Personal emergency evacuation plans Planning for emergencies & incidents Reporting Risk Security Shelter in place Volunteer roles Wardens

Open all | Close all

Business continuity

What is business continuity?

Business continuity encompasses a loosely-defined set of planning, preparatory and related activities which are intended to ensure that the University's academic enterprise and critical business functions will either continue to operate despite serious incidents that might otherwise have interrupted them, or will be recovered to an operational state within a reasonably short period of time.

Why do I need to plan for business continuity?

Planning business continuity will assist with post-incident coordination and recovery issues. It will allow for a more speedy recovery to “normal” as soon as possible.

What do I put in my business continuity plan (BCP)?

A Business Continuity Plan should answer five key questions:

  1. What, if anything, exists currently?
  2. Who are your key contacts? - Who needs to know what and when?
  3. Who are your key stakeholders?
  4. What are your critical functions/processes?
  5. What are your critical items of equipment?
    • What controls are in place to manage disruption?
    • How vulnerable are the controls?

How often do I need to review my business continuity plan (BCP)?

It is a good idea to review the plan at least annually. However, you should review your key contacts list and stakeholders and make sure their contact details are correct at least every three to six months.

Where can I get help writing a business continuity plan (BCP)?

You should use the AS/NZS5050:2010 – Business Continuity – Managing Disruption-Related Risk and the HB292:2006 – A Practitioner’s Guide to Business Continuity Management as the benchmark standard for business continuity planning (these can be accessed through the CDU Library online database under Standards Australia).

Does my business continuity plan (BCP) need to get approval?

Yes. Your BCP should have both key stakeholder input/approval and your Head of School/Department approval. It should then be lodged with Governance for storage in the University electronic document repository contact governance@cdu.edu.au.

It's a good idea to make your BCP widely known amongst your own staff as well as your key stakeholders. Sending your document for noting to Committees such as VCAG, Learning and Teaching Committees, Research and Research Training Committees and Academic Board will ensure it is widely read. The more people who read it the better it will be known.

^Back to top


What is an emergency?

An emergency is an event, actual or imminent, which endangers or threatens to endanger life, property or the environment, and which requires a significant and coordinated response.

Who should I call in an emergency?

The very definition of an emergency is that it is life-threatening. You should call 000 immediately (medical, police or fire) for all emergencies.

When should I call 000?

Only call 000 in an emergency or life-threatening situation.

Otherwise, you should call your local area non-emergency number police, fire, ambulance or emergency services or University Security, depending on the nature of the incident.

What is emergency management?

In broad terms, emergency management is the planning and preparation; the sourcing of resources and equipment; and the training and education of personnel in order to efficiently and effectively carry out incident management if and when an emergency or incident occurs. Emergency Management deals with the prevention or mitigation of, preparedness for, response to and recovery (PPRR) from emergencies and incidents.

Does the University have an emergency plan and where can I find it?

What is an emergency procedure?

An emergency procedure is a set of directions detailing what actions should be taken, as well as how, when, by whom and why, for specific emergency events. They are a type of ‘standard operating procedure’. For further information on suggested emergency procedures refer to the During an Emergency page.

What is the Emergency Control Organisation (ECO)?

The ECO is a structured organisation that will organise an appropriate response to emergency situations. The University ECO consists of Incident Controller/s, Wardens, First Aid Officers and a Communications Officer.

Refer to Who can help in an emergency for further information.

What should I put in my emergency/evacuation kit?

For information on what an emergency kit or an evacuation kit is and what items to include in it, refer to the Preparing for an Emergency page.

^Back to top

Emergency evacuation assembly areas

What is an emergency evacuation assembly area?

A predetermined, designated location used for the assembly of emergency-affected persons in a safe place away from the location of an emergency.

How do I know where my building / area emergency evacuation assembly area is?

In every building, on each floor, at any University site there are Emergency Evacuation Diagrams that will show you on a map where your designated emergency evacuation assembly area is and all the exits you can use to get there.

If for any reason the designated main assembly area is unsafe, then follow your Wardens’ instructions to the nearest alternative safe assembly area.

How long do I have to stay at the emergency evacuation assembly area?

You must stay at the emergency evacuation assembly area until you are told to either return to your place of origin or move to a safer area if the emergency has spread by:

  • The Incident Controller
  • The Chief Warden
  • Emergency Services Personnel or a Public Response Agency (police, fire and rescue, emergency services)
  • University Security.

Can I just leave an emergency evacuation assembly area and head home?

No. You must remain at the emergency evacuation assembly area so that all people are accounted for.

If circumstances are such that you must leave, then you need to report to your Building/Zone Warden, Chief Warden or Incident Controller so that they can take down your name and contact details.

When I get to the emergency evacuation assembly area what happens then?

When you get to the emergency evacuation assembly area, Wardens will take down names so that people who may have been unable to self-evacuate or are missing can be identified.

First Aid Officers will treat any casualties until medical help arrives on scene.

You may be asked to assist with crowd control or other tasks by the Wardens.

What should I do if I can't get to my designated emergency evacuation assembly area?

If you cannot get to your designated emergency evacuation assembly area due to a mobility impairment, notify a Warden, First Aid Officer, colleague or call 000.

If you cannot get to your designated emergency evacuation assembly area because it is too dangerous, go to the nearest safe emergency evacuation assembly area away from the emergency and report to the Wardens there or, call a colleague or friend to let them know where you are and if you need medical assistance.

^Back to top


What is an evacuation?

The planned relocation of persons from dangerous or potentially dangerous areas to safer areas and eventual return.

When should I evacuate?

Immediately when:

  • Your life is in imminent danger*
  • You hear an evacuation alarm.
  • You are told to evacuate by a member of the Emergency Control Organisation or emergency services personnel.

*Always assess the danger. If the emergency is due to a violent person/ active shooter; earthquake; hazardous material spill or gas leak; or sudden severe weather, it may be safer to shelter in place.

After I evacuate, where should I go?

After you evacuate, move quickly but with care to the designated emergency evacuation assembly area.

How do I know when to evacuate?

  • Sometimes you will hear an evacuation alarm
  • Sometimes you will be directed to evacuate by a member of the Emergency Control Organisation
  • Sometimes you will be warned about imminent danger by a person nearby
  • Sometimes you may feel that your life is in imminent danger and it is no longer safe to stay where you are
  • If you are not told to evacuate an area but you feel you are in danger, alert others around you and move yourself away from the danger. Call University Security and/or 000 as necessary

How do I know the emergency is over and I can re-enter the area?

One of the following people will tell you when it is safe to re-enter the area:

  • Emergency services personnel (police, fire, emergency services)
  • Incident Controller
  • Chief/Building/Area Warden
  • University Security
  • Campus/site Administrator.

What should I do if I think I might have trouble evacuating in an emergency?

Pre-existing mobility impairment

As soon as you move to the area/building/campus/centre you should speak with one of the below:

  • Your Building/Area Warden
  • Equity Services
  • Chief Warden
  • Incident Controller
  • Safety Emergency and Wellbeing.

Ask them to assist you with developing a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP).

Sudden onset mobility impairment

Bring the issue to the attention of someone nearby or a Warden as they evacuate the area and tell them how best to assist you.

What is an evacuation drill or exercise?

A practice evacuation for responders and occupants of a building/area/floor or zone, to accustom everyone to their roles and to practice the procedures they must follow as though there were a real emergency.

The University is legally bound to perform exercises/drills and/or test its emergency procedures on a regular basis. All occupants are legally obliged to participate in a drill/exercise if they are an occupant of the area at the time the drill/exercise is carried out.

Who is required to participate in the emergency evacuation drill?

Everyone – all staff, students, visitors, contractors in that area or within the building at the time. Evacuation drills are required to be performed on a regular basis. Refusal to evacuate during a drill will result in disciplinary action and may be referred to law enforcement or other appropriate authorities.

What happens if I am not at my usual campus or building when an evacuation is required?

Follow the same procedures as you would if you were at your usual campus or building – that is, follow the instructions of the members of the Emergency Control Organisation and/or emergency services personnel.

Will there always be an alarm when I have to evacuate?

No. Under certain circumstances you may be verbally told to evacuate, or you may need to self-evacuate in an emergency.

What sorts of things could happen that mean I have to evacuate?

There are three main categories of hazards/emergencies that may require you to evacuate:

  1. Human – e.g. arson, bomb threat, terrorism, active shooter, civil unrest, suspicious parcel.
  2. Natural – e.g. flood, earthquake, severe weather, cyclone, bushfire.
  3. Technological – e.g. hazardous material spill/leak, structural collapse, utility failure.

For more details refer to the Preparing for an Emergency and During an Emergency pages.

What should I take with me if I evacuate?

Any personal belongings that are immediately available such as keys, medication, mobile phone and wallet. Never re-enter a building once you have evacuated unless you are cleared to do so by emergency services personnel.

What should I do if I notice someone else cannot evacuate?

If it is safe and you are able to assist them then offer assistance.

If it is not safe or you are unable to assist them, then notify Security, a Warden or First Aid Officer as soon as possible. Tell them the person’s location, identity (if known) and any assistance you think they may require (e.g. medical assistance or mobility assistance).

What is an evacuation sign or diagram?

Evacuation diagrams contain a pictorial representation of a floor or area. An evacuation sign incorporates the evacuation diagram and other relevant emergency and evacuation information.

^Back to top

First Aid Officers

What does a First Aid Officer do?

Part of the University's Emergency Control Organisation, First Aid Officers are volunteer members of the University community trained to apply basic first aid until emergency services personnel arrive on scene (as/if required). Further information can be found in the University Emergency Management Plan (PDF 82KB) and the First Aid Procedure (PDF 106KB).

How do I become a First Aid Officer?

To become a First Aid Officer, you should contact the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team at sew@cdu.edu.au. They will discuss the role and responsibilities of a First Aid Officer with you and provide you with first aid training.

What training do University First Aid Officers receive?

First Aid Officers receive nationally recognised, accredited basic first aid training (as a minimum) from a registered training organisation such as St John Ambulance or Red Cross Australia.

How do I find a University First Aid Officer?

  • University Security are trained in first aid. You can call them on 1800 646 501 (free call) or refer to the Who can Help in an Emergency page for your local Security Officer. Note that not all campuses have Security or Duty Officers available.
  • Search the University phone directory:
    • Type in ‘first’ or ‘aid’ for the search term
    • Select ‘everything’ under the ‘search what’ function.
  • All First Aid Officers’ names and room locations appropriate to that building/zone are displayed in each University building/zone and on each floor/area in a prominent place. This is usually near Evacuation Signs, foyers/entrances and on bulletin boards.

What should I do if I can't find a First Aid Officer?

  • If the injury looks serious or life-threatening, call 000.
  • Call University Security 1800 646 501 and ask them to locate someone.
  • Contact the nearest staff member to seek assistance.
  • Ask if anyone in the immediate area knows first aid.
  • For further information on your local area go to Who can Help in an Emergency page.

Who is trained in first aid at the University?

Security and Duty Officers at each campus and at least one staff member per campus/centre. For the larger campuses/centres at least one staff member per 50 staff and/or usually a minimum of one FAO per building floor or area.

What is the role of University First Aid Officers?

University First Aid Officers are trained to apply basic first aid for all staff, students and visitors to the University until such time as emergency services arrive on scene as/if required.

Can students become First Aid Officers?

Yes. Contact the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team at sew@cdu.edu.au for more information.

What responsibilities do First Aid Officers have?

  • Provide first aid as and when required.
  • Attend and participate in training requirements for the position.
  • Participate in exercises, scenarios and testing of Emergency Procedures.
  • Record any incidents and accidents and report these to Safety Emergency and Wellbeing within 24 hours.
  • Ensure the first aid kit is restocked each time supplies are used.
  • Maintain a record of all supplies used as per Work Health and Safety requirements.
  • Ensure currency of training to perform the role.
  • Wear appropriate, identifying apparel at all times in the workplace.

How much time will being a First Aid Officer take?

  • You will need to undergo initial training/certification to be a First Aid Officer. This is usually a minimum two day course.
  • You should do a one day refresher training course every 12 months and then full recertification every three years.
  • You should do a one day refresher CPR training course every 12 months and then full first aid recertification every three years.
  • You will be required to participate in emergency exercises and drills at least once annually.
  • You will be required to apply first aid whenever required, monitor first aid supplies and notify Safety Emergency and Wellbeing of all injuries and accidents that occur.

^Back to top

Further information

Where do I get more information on emergencies at CDU?

From the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team in the Office of People and Capability

W: Safety Emergency and Wellbeing
E: sew@cdu.edu.au

Where do I get further information on security issues at CDU?

W: University Security
E: security@cdu.edu.au
Free call: 1800 646 501

Where do I get further information on Work Health and Safety at CDU?

W: Risk Management 

or from the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team in the Office of People and Capability

W: Safety Emergency and Wellbeing
E: sew@cdu.edu.au

Where do I get more information on risk at CDU?

From the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team in the Office of People and Capability

W: Safety Emergency and Wellbeing
E: sew@cdu.edu.au

Where do I get more information on business continuity at CDU?

From the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team in the Office of People and Capability

W: Safety Emergency and Wellbeing
E: sew@cdu.edu.au

Where do I get more information on Wardens at CDU?

Where do I get more information on First Aid Officers at CDU?

Where do I get more information on hazards at CDU?

Where do I get more information on Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs) at CDU?

Where do I get more information on evacuations and other emergency procedures?

^Back to top


What is a hazard?

A hazard is a source of potential harm or a situation with a potential to cause loss. For example:

  • Human e.g. medical emergency, suspicious parcel, active shooter, armed intrusion, arson, civil disorder
  • Natural e.g. bushfire, cyclone, severe weather, flood, storm surge
  • Technological e.g. industrial incidents, structural instability, hazardous substances incidents.

Or any other event, situation or condition that is capable of causing or resulting in:

  • Loss of life, prejudice to the safety or harm to the health of people, or
  • Destruction of or damage to property or any part of the environment.

How do I identify hazards in my area?

Ask yourself: “Is this something that has the potential for loss or harm to the University community (people), property and/or the environment?”.

If the answer is yes, then it is most likely a hazard and you should report it to your immediate supervisor and/or Health and Safety Representative (HSR) as soon as possible.

Who should I tell if I think there is a hazard?

  • Notify your supervisor or lecturer
  • Notify your Health and Safety Representative (HSR)
  • Contact the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team at sew@cdu.edu.au.

Is there a standard template for hazard identification?

Yes. Refer to the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing webpages or contact sew@cdu.edu.au.

After I report a hazard, is there anything else I should do?

Monitor the identified hazard. If nothing changes you should follow up with the person you reported it to and escalate as necessary. Safety is everyone’s responsibility.

What is a hazard management authority/agency?

Hazard Management Authority is the organisation which is responsible for the coordination of the preparation of plans and capabilities to respond to the specific hazard.

What are hazardous materials or substances?

A substance or material which has been determined by an appropriate authority to be capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety and property.

^Back to top


What is an incident?

An incident is an event, occurrence, or set of circumstances that:

  • has a definite spatial extent
  • has a definite duration
  • calls for human intervention
  • has a set of concluding conditions that can be defined; and
  • is or will be under the control of an individual who has the authority to make decisions about the means by which it will be brought to a resolution (e.g. an incident controller).

What is incident management?

Incident management refers to those processes, decisions and actions taken to resolve an incident and support recovery that will enable the University community to return to normality. Incident management is the process of controlling the incident, commanding responding personnel and coordinating resources.

^Back to top

Personal emergency evacuation plans (PEEPS)

What is considered a mobility impairment?

A person with mobility-impairment according to Emergency Management Australia is: “A person with physical, mental or sensory impairment, either temporary or permanent, who requires assistance during an emergency evacuation”.

A permanent impairment may include such things as: a visual impairment such as colour blindness; a hearing impairment such as partial or full deafness; a physical impairment such as quadriplegia, paraplegia or cerebral palsy; an intellectual impairment such as Down Syndrome or Autism; or a medical disorder such as being Bipolar or suffering an acute phobia.

A temporary impairment is one that may impede a person’s ability to move easily around the campus or to evacuate unaided, in a timely manner and/or safely in an emergency, for a defined period of time.

A temporary impairment may include such things as: the later stages of pregnancy; a recent surgery that requires the use of a mobility aid such as crutches; a recent injury such as a sprained ankle that makes weight bearing difficult etc.

What is a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)?

A PEEP is a written document that sets out the agreed actions to be undertaken in relation to a person who is unable to self-evacuate a building in the event of an emergency and/or may be unable to evacuate a building in a safe, unaided or timely manner in the event of an emergency due to a temporary or permanent mobility impairment.

How do I know if I need a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)?

If you feel you may need help evacuating buildings or moving around campus in an emergency then completing a PEEP highlights this and develops an evacuation plan relevant to you and the sites you would most likely be studying, working or residing at. 

Then whether you need a PEEP, will depend on your personal circumstances and the location where you work, study or reside on site. The best solution is to speak with your Building/Area Warden or the Disability Service section of Equity Services.

Who can help me write a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)?

Is there a standard template for Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEP)?

Yes. Download the PEEP template (docx 185KB).

Where do I get more information on Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs) at CDU?

Information on PEEPs can be found via the University website, the staff and student portals and through the following email contacts:

^Back to top

Planning for emergencies and incidents

What is the Incident Planning Committee?

The Incident Planning Committee (IPC) consists of key University staff and stakeholders responsible for facilitating the development, promulgation, implementation, testing, training, evaluation, review, amendment and maintenance of the Emergency Management Plan (PDF 82KB), emergency procedures and other emergency management governing documents.

The IPC is also responsible for facilitating the creation, staffing and training of the Emergency Control Organisation.

What does the Incident Planning Committee do?

Essentially the IPC assesses all the risks associated with the various types of hazards faced within the University environment. They determine what the best risk treatments are to eliminate or mitigate those risks. This process allows the Committee to determine the order of priority of implementing risk treatments and allocating budgets.

The IPC is responsible for all facets of the Emergency Management Plan (PDF 82KB), emergency procedures and associated training.

Refer to the Incident Planning Committee Terms of Reference (PDF 47KB) on the governance web pages.

Does the University have a plan for emergencies and incidents?

Absolutely. The framework for who will respond to emergencies and incidents and how, is in the Emergency Management Plan (PDF 82KB). The EMP also outlines the roles and responsibilities of the various members of the University community when an emergency or incident happens.

The Emergency Procedures suggest what you should do to respond to particular emergency events. Information on emergency procedures can be found on the During an Emergency page.

Who can assist me to plan for an emergency?

  • The Safety Emergency and Wellbeing team – sew@cdu.edu.au
  • Your local Wardens

^Back to top


What sorts of things should be reported to the University?

  • All accidents, injuries, incidents or near misses
  • Anything you think could be a hazard – cause harm to people, property and/or the environment
  • Any potential or real hazards that may lead to an emergency or incident occurring
  • Any breaches of security or potential security issues.

Who should I tell/report incidents to?

Accidents or injuries

If you have an accident or suffer and injury whilst studying or working at the University (including near misses) you should notify Safety Emergency and Wellbeing (sew@cdu.edu.au) or visit Safety Emergency and Wellbeing.

Theft, lost property, suspicious, aggressive, inappropriate or threatening behaviour or security concerns

If you lose property or have something stolen; if you see a person or item you thinks looks suspicious; if someone exhibits aggressive or threatening behaviours or uses abusive language towards you; or for any other security related matter, you should report this as soon as practicable to University Security security@cdu.edu.au or 1800 646 501 (free-call).

What does the University do with the information I give them about an incident?

The University records and stores all reported incidents and then uses de-identified information for analysis, planning and learning purposes, to prevent or minimise any future recurrence and to be better prepared for future incidents.

Are reports I give to the University about incidents private?

Yes. All information collected by the University about incidents and emergencies will be in accordance with the University’s Information Privacy Policy (PDF 69KB). Only those authorities required to be notified will be.

Are there standard forms to report accidents, incidents and emergencies?

Yes. All forms can be found on the pages below or by contacting the appropriate area:

How soon after an incident, accident or emergency do I have to make a report?

The general rule of thumb for reporting any incidents, accidents, near misses and emergencies is as soon as reasonably practicable.

There are however certain Work Health and Safety legislated reporting requirements that necessitate reports being made within 24 hours. Refer to the Work Health and Safety webpages for more information.

^Back to top


What is risk?

Risk is best defined by the AS/NZS/ISO Standard 31000:2009 – Risk Management - Principles and Guidelines.

Basically risk is:

A concept used to describe the likelihood of harmful consequences arising from the interaction of hazards, communities and the environment.

  • The chance of something happening that will have an impact upon objectives. It is measured in terms of consequences and likelihood.
  • A measure of harm, taking into account the consequences of an event and its likelihood. For example, it may be expressed as the likelihood of death to an exposed individual over a given period.
  • Expected losses (of lives, persons injured, property damaged, and economic activity disrupted) due to a particular hazard for a given area and reference period.

Why is risk important to me?

During everyday life we face hazards and we all do our risk assessment on those hazards.  This includes things like crossing a busy road, using a phone during a thunderstorm and driving a car.

We can all do things that can reduce or even eliminate the risk all together, which can prevent injuries and damage to property.

What is a risk matrix?

Risk matrices are used during hazard identification and risk assessment processes. Risk matrices are tools that allow the rating or categorisation of risks and show the relationship between likelihood (chance of something happening) and consequence (impact of it happening).  In a risk matrix each risk is shown as a rating which includes Extreme, High, Medium and Low.  These ratings are often allocated colours such as red for the highest risks to green for the lowest.

What is a risk assessment or analysis?

Risk Analysis

A systematic use of available information to determine how often specified events may occur and the magnitude of their likely consequences.

Risk Assessment

The process used to determine risk management priorities by evaluating and comparing the level of risk against predetermined standards, target risk levels or other criteria.

What are risk assessments used for?

They are used as a standardised method for assessing the likelihood and consequences of any risk arising from actual or potential hazards.

What is a risk treatment?

The selection and implementation of appropriate options for dealing with risk.

How do we prioritise risk?

  1. Consider the consequences – For each identified hazard, consider the consequence if something happens. Consider what could reasonably have happened, as well as what actually happened (if there was an accident/incident).
  2. Consider the likelihood – How likely is it that something will happen as a result of the hazard?
  3. Give the result a risk rating – Consequences (negligible to catastrophic) likelihood (highly unlikely to very likely).
  4. The higher the rating (very likely/catastrophic) the higher the priority given to finding ways to mitigate or eliminate the risk.

When should I do a risk assessment as a lecturer?

Prior to undertaking any class activity that may be dangerous, involve machinery or equipment that may cause harm or injury, is in an unusual location, any activity off-campus or any fieldwork activities, as part of the planning process.

What is the difference between risk mitigation and elimination?

Yes. They are available on the Work Health and Safety forms page.

^Back to top


Where do I find Security?

Casuarina campus has a dedicated security office on the ground floor of building Orange 2 (right next door to student services and the main bus stop).

CDU Darwin Waterfront precinct has a security office on the ground floor in the lobby.

CDU Palmerston has roving security officers.

How can I contact Security?

Free-call 1800 646 501 from anywhere in Australia. This number takes you through to Casuarina Security Officers 24/7

Call (08) 8946 7777 from anywhere in Australia or dial extension 7777 from any internal phone on any campus.

For further information on Security contacts at other University campuses, refer to Who can Help in an Emergency.

What does Security do?

The primary role of Security Officers and duty officers is to ensure the safety and security of all people and assets on University sites. University Security Officers are the first point of contact for non-life threatening emergencies. They are first aid trained and will often be the first responders to any incident.

What services does Security provide?

Security Officers are available at certain campuses and centres to:

  • Escort students and staff after hours between buildings, campus car parks and local public transport points
  • Issue access passes and keys to contractors
  • Apply first aid
  • Provide crowd control
  • Issue parking infringements.

If I see a suspicious person or item on campus what should I do?

Contact Security immediately and tell them:

  • Your name
  • What you saw
  • Where you saw it.

What sort of issues can Security help me with?

  • Theft
  • Escorts across campus or to your vehicle at night
  • First aid
  • After hours Cardax access to buildings and air conditioning
  • Suspicious, aggressive, abusive, inappropriate or threatening behaviour.

What do I do if there is no Security available where I study/work?

  • Theft
  • Escorts across campus or to your vehicle at night
  • First aid
  • After hours Cardax access to buildings and air conditioning
  • Suspicious, aggressive, abusive, inappropriate or threatening behaviour.

Who should I talk to if I feel uncomfortable talking with Security?

Depending on the nature of what you want to talk about and who you would feel most comfortable talking to, you can contact any of the following areas of the University who may be able to assist you:

  • Equity Services
  • Disability services
  • Student services
  • Safety Emergency and Wellbeing
  • Campus/centre administration
  • Your supervisor, lecturer or manager
  • Office of People and Capability (staff complaints and issues)
  • Student Advocate
  • Complaints Management team (located with Governance).

^Back to top

Shelter in place

What does shelter in place mean?

Shelter in place is an alternative to evacuating a building, room or area in an emergency. Sheltering in place means to protect yourself from harm in a secure place such as under a table or in a doorway during an earthquake.

Why would I have to shelter in place?

There are certain circumstances when evacuating a building or area is not a viable or safe option in an emergency.

Some examples may be:

  • Severe weather
  • Earthquake
  • Active shooter
  • Cyclone.

Who tells me to shelter in place?

Mostly the decision to shelter in place will be your own decision after you have assessed the danger and nature of the emergency. However, sometimes you will get a warning from other people in the area and/or staff including Wardens, Security, Resident Leaders, campus administrators, supervisors, lecturers and the emergency services.

How do I know when I don't have to shelter in place anymore?

If you are in a building or area of your campus/centre at the time, either emergency services (e.g. police, fire, emergency services), University Security, Wardens or campus/centre administration will tell you it is safe to return to normal/leave the building/area.

If you are at home (for example during a cyclone) then emergency services will post notifications on your local ABC radio and TV as soon as possible.

If you are in residence on campus then either a Resident Leader, Residential Manager, Campus Administrator or emergency services will notify you.

If I have to shelter in place, what should I take with me?

If you have to take immediate shelter during an emergency then take only personal items that are nearby, such as keys, medication, wallet and mobile phone.

If you have time to prepare for the emergency such as for a cyclone or flood, then you should prepare an emergency and/or evacuation kit.

^Back to top

Volunteers roles

What sort of volunteers does the University need?

  • Wardens
  • First Aid Officers

Do volunteers get paid or get any benefits?

Currently only First Aid Officers get an allowance.

Is the training for volunteers compulsory?

There will be both compulsory and voluntary training opportunities for you as a volunteer.

Is the training for volunteers nationally recognised?

Most but not all training for volunteers is nationally recognised, accredited training.

For further information go to the Information on Training section of the information and links page.

^Back to top


What does a Warden do?

Part of the University's Emergency Control Organisation - Building, Area, Zone or Floor Wardens, are volunteer members of the University community, trained by the University to assist in the safe evacuation of occupants from a building and/or area in the event of an incident or emergency. Wardens are trained in basic fire-fighting. Wardens may also assist to physically cordon-off areas once an evacuation has taken place; assist with crowd control during and after an evacuation; and the eventual return of occupants back into the area/building.  More detailed information can be found in the University Emergency Management Plan (PDF 82KB), from your campus Chief Warden or, from the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing (sew@cdu.edu.au) team.

How do I become a Warden?

To become a Warden, you should contact the Safety Emergency and Wellbeing (sew@cdu.edu.au) team who will discuss the role and responsibilities of a Warden with you and provide you with Warden training.

What training do Wardens receive?

Wardens receive emergency evacuation training and emergency fire training.

How do I find a Warden?

  • Search the CDU staff Phone Directory:
    • Type in ‘warden’ for the search term.
    • Select ‘everything’ under the ‘search what’ function.
  • All Warden’s names and locations appropriate to that building or facility are displayed in that University building/facility, on each floor in a prominent place. This is usually near Evacuation Signs, foyers/entrances and on bulletin boards.

What should I do if I cannot find a warden?

  1. If your life of the life of others is in imminent danger, then move immediately to a safe area and warn others/raise the alarm. Call 000 for police, fire or ambulance if required.
  2. Contact University Security (free call 1800 646 501) or your campus/centre administrator (refer to >Who Can Help in an Emergency).
  3. Search the CDU staff Phone Directory for a Warden.

Who is trained to be a Warden at the University?

Any staff or Resident Leaders who volunteer to be trained.

What is the role of University Wardens?

The main role of Wardens is to assist in the safe containment of an emergency and/or the safe evacuation of occupants from danger and ultimately their return to place of origin.

The University has Wardens with different roles in an emergency.

Chief Wardens – primary authority during any emergency/incident and ultimate operational responsibility overall.

Building/Zone Wardens – responsible for all Wardens and First Aid Officers within a specified building or zone.

Floor/Area Wardens – responsible for a specified floor within a building or area within a facility/zone.

Can students become a Warden?

Yes. Contact Safety Emergency and Wellbeing in the Office of People and Capability for further information at sew@cdu.edu.au.

What responsibilities do Wardens have?

  • Assist to direct the safe evacuation of occupants away from danger to emergency evacuation assembly points;
  • Control entrances and exits to buildings/areas post-evacuation;
  • Notify emergency services of any person unable to self-evacuate and their location;
  • Assist to identify Safe Harbour Areas in and around their building;
  • Ensure fire safety and emergency Warden training is current.

How much time will being a Warden take?

Training for Wardens is compulsory and will involve at least two days per year. All Wardens are required to participate in any drills and/or training exercises conducted annually. Wardens are then required to respond as needed to assist in containing emergencies, directing people to shelter in place and/or evacuating away from danger as/when needed.