Education and Training

There are a number of ways in the Northern Territory to learn skills and gain qualifications after secondary school.

  • Tertiary education at Charles Darwin University or Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education;
  • Vocational Education & Training course through one of the many private registered training organisations; and
  • an Australian Apprenticeship.

Disability Standards for Education

The Disability Standards for Education were formulated under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and came into effect in August 2005.

The objects of these Standards are:

  • To eliminate, as far as possible, discrimination against persons on the ground of disability in the area of education and training
  • To ensure, as far as practicable, that persons with disabilities have the same rights to equality before the law in the area of education and training as the rest of the community
  • To promote recognition and acceptance within the community of the principle that persons with disabilities have the same fundamental rights as the rest of the community.

All education and training providers are legally required to make reasonable adjustments in areas including:

  • Applying for admission;
  • Enrolment procedures;
  • Physical access to facilities and around campus;
  • Studying;
  • Course participation;
  • Assessment procedures; and
  • Participation in student activities.

For more information check out the Disability Discrimination Act Education Standards website.

Study through a private registered training organisation

Contact your registered training organisation and arrange an appointment with the lecturer prior to the course commencing to seek information and advice and to discuss your needs and adjustments that you may require, such as access to venue and equipment, assistive technology, study and assessment adjustments etc.

University - Disability Liasion Officer

Charles Darwin University (CDU) has campuses in Alice Springs, Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Nhulunbuy and Tennant Creek and also offers units through Distance Education. CDU has over 350 courses to choose from, including courses to support students or potential students to prepare for University study.

Visit the CDU website for information for future students, admissions processes as well as student support and services, or contact the Student Central on 1800 061 963.
The University Disability Liaison Officers are located within Student Administration & Equity Services.

The Disability Adviser can:

  • Assist identify options for reducing the impact of a disability or chronic health condition on study
  • Provide information about and arrange access to appropriate services;
  • Assist the arrangement of study and assessment accommodations; and
  • Review study and assessment accommodations.

For further information go to disability support.

Universities provide support services to students with disability including chronic medical conditions. This may include planning for assessment adjustments, exam provisions, equipment and assistive technology provision, liaison, advice and advocacy, among other services.

Disability Advisors are available to meet with prospective students with disabilities and ongoing medical conditions to help plan their university studies. Call or email well in advance of when you would like to see someone. For example, if you would like to meet on your term break, ring to make the appointment at least two weeks before. If you live far away, or can't make it in, ask for a phone appointment.

For contact details for Disability Advisors at all Universities across Australia visit the ADCET website.

Financial support for students with disability

The Australian Government provides income support to students (meeting specific eligibility criteria) through Centrelink. To find out about some of the payments, allowances and concessions that you may be entitled to, go to the Centrelink website. You may be entitled to one or more types of income support while you are studying. Which payments and how much you may receive depend on your individual circumstances. It is very important to contact Centrelink directly to get advice based on your own personal details.