Travellers on a mountain top


The International Student Officer at CDU will assist you with all pre-departure requirements and will provide you with advice and ongoing support throughout your study abroad. The Officer will also provide the name and contact details of the Liaison Officer counterpart at the host university.

Arriving in a new country can be exciting and also challenging. It is important that you contact the Exchange Officer at your host university as soon as possible as they will assist you to adjust to living and studying in your new surrounds. They too will support you during your stay.

Open all | Close all

Before you go overseas to study

You must complete the following:

The online pre-departure tutorial, checklist and the international movement request must be completed by all students engaging in an overseas study experience. For students receiving funding or scholarship, payments can only be made after the pre-departure tutorial, checklist, movement request and the EFT funds transfer form is completed.


OS-HELP is a deferred HELP debt loan for Australian citizens who are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place and wish to undertake some of their studies overseas. Contact you program coordinator or the Office of International Services for more information.

Eligible students may borrow:

  • up to $6,665 (if you will not be studying in Asia)
  • up to $7,998 (for study in Asia); and an additional $1,065 if you will be undertaking Asian language studying in preparation for study in Asia.

Students who travel overseas on official university activities are covered by the University's corporate travel insurance policy. This cover is limited to the duration of your University activities and allows two days cover getting to and from the set destination.

In order to activate the University's travel insurance,  students must submit and have approved a Movement Request for International University Travel (docx 350KB).

Find out what the University's travel insurance covers and does not cover before departing, and if required, organise additional personal travel insurance.

All students are required to register with AIG Travel Guard prior to departing Australia. Travel Guard is a worldwide team of doctors, medical professionals and insurance specialist who are available 24 hours a day for advice and assistance for medical emergencies and any associated problems while outside of your country.

Travel information for your records

Please download the following documents

A visa gives you permission to enter a country for a particular purpose.

As consular rules are constantly changing, we can't give advice about visas. It's your responsibility to check with the appropriate consulate(s) about the country(s) visa requirements before departing Australia.

Below is some general information with links to the relevant embassy or high commission, additional information about consulates can be found at the Australian Government's Smartraveller website.

France and Norway

Australian students travelling to France and Norway for longer than 90 days are required to book and attend an appointment in person at the Embassy or Consulate-General in respective capital cities to apply for a student visa. Unfortunately, this cannot be done in Darwin. It is very important that any students requiring a visa book an appointment as soon as possible at the Consulate in order to allow sufficient time for their application to be processed and for their visa to be issued. Please visit the webpage of the respective Consulate or Embassy for more information. Australians travelling to France or Norway for a program that is less than 90 days still benefit from visa exemption to enter both countries.  

Visas for New Colombo Plan Recipients

All recipients of a New Colombo Plan mobility grants should include in their visa application a letter of support from the New Colombo Plan Secretariat. The Office of International Services will source these letters and distribute them to all grant recipients. If you do not receive your letter before applying for your visa, please contact the Student Mobility Officer within the Officer of International Services.


Chinese Visas need to be applied for through the Chinese Visa Centre. If you are going to China for study, even for short-term study, you are required to apply for a Student Visa.

Hong Kong

Australian passport holders intending to enter Hong Kong for study are required to have a student visa before entry. 

Visit the  Hong King Immigration website and complete form ID995A. All Hong Kong student visa applications must be submitted to the Chinese Embassy in Canberra at:

15 Coronation Drive
Yarralumla, Canberra
ACT 2600
T: 02 62283998 or 02 62283997

Follow the instructions at the Embassy for the People's Republic of China in Australia. Post your application via registered post and include your passport, application form, photo and return envelope. To pay for your visa include this payment form 995A  in your application pack.

Visas for Indonesia

The Indonesian Embassy recommends that all students travelling to Indonesia for short-term mobility projects and internships should apply for the Social Cultural Visa. This visa is valid for 60 days and can be extended for a 30 day period up to a maximum of four times, allowing for a maximum stay of 6 months. Please visit the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia for more information.

Visas for the Philippines

The Philippines requires all visitors to have a Temporary Visitor's Visa obtained from the Embassy of the Philippines in Canberra. Download the form Applying for a temporary visitor's visa (PDF 243KB).

Students on short-term study programs are still required to apply for a Temporary Visitor's Visa, and upon arrival need to apply for a Special Study Permit at the Bureau's Student Desk. Instructions can be found in the form procedure and requirements for the issuance of a student visa (PDF 49KB).

Visas for India

Students going to India for study need to apply for a student visa through the High Commission of India in Australia. For students who are intending to undertake internships or engage in volunteer work with a registered NGO, you may be required to obtain a work visa.

Applying for an Australian passport

The Australian Passport Office website offers advice and information about applying for an Australian passport.

It is a requirement that all Charles Darwin University students register with Smartraveller prior to departure. Smartraveller is provided by the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Registration helps the Australian Government contact or find you in an emergency. Smartraveller is also a great source of information for all travellers.

  • your valid passport and current visa
  • your letter of offer/admission from the host university
  • address and contact details of the host university
  • insurance documentation
  • at least AUD$500 or equivalent in cash 
  • other official identification such as your driver’s license
  • any medical records (particularly of immunisations) and any necessary medical prescriptions
  • appropriate clothing 
  • personal items such as special medications and copies of prescriptions, camera, personal computer/laptop.

You need to:

  • Check the validity of your passport; you must renew your passport if it has less than six months validity remaining.
  • Apply for the appropriate visas using the letter of offer/admission issued to you.
  • Read and understand the conditions of your visa.
  • Complete the CDU Movement Request for International University Travel and have it approved as instructed.
  • Obtain a copy of the AIG Travel Guard Insured Business Traveller letter with the emergency contact number; if you lose the letter go to Travel Guard.
  • Book flights and arrange any additional travel insurance required.
  • Register on Smartraveller and subscribe to the travel advice for your destination.
  • Arrange for immunisations, medications and request copies of any medical records from your doctor (if applicable).
  • Arrange access to sufficient funds and credit card.
  • Organise accommodation.
  • Provide primary and secondary emergency contact details in Australia.
  • Familiarise yourself with CDU’s Code of Conduct (pdf 72KB)

You should:

  • phone or email home
  • register your arrival with the International Office at your host university
  • get to know where you will live and how to get to the campus, shops etc
  • open a bank account
  • attend any orientation or welcome activities organised by your host university