Email at CDU
Whilst studying at CDU, students are provided with a personal CDU email account as part of Microsoft Office 365, the allowance for this email mailbox is 50GB.
To be issued an official CDU email address, you must first activate your computer account. For help activating you account, visit student accounts. This email service is web-based (like Hotmail or similar) and available wherever you can get access to the Internet. To access the CDU student email system go to email.cdu.edu.au.
The use of email is is governed by the University's information technology policies and by-laws, the Telecommunications Act, and the instructions below. Visit the Governance document library for more information on CDU's policies.
Every student is given an official CDU email addresses, you can also specify an alternate (or preferred) address from any provider (eg. Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, Bigpond).
Correspondence sent to students by CDU will always be sent to the your official CDU email address, and a copy forwarded to your alternate address if you supplied one.
Please note: if you choose to use an alternate email address, it is your responsibility to ensure that email sent by CDU is getting to you. You need to:
- ensure your mail box is not 'full' (only a copy is sent to the preferred email - students will need to monitor the CDU mailbox to keep it within the 50GB allowance)
- ensure that spam filtering on the mailbox does not remove CDU mail
- ensure your email account is kept active by paying any required subscriptions or accessing regularly to keep the mailbox active
- update your preferred email address with CDU if it changes
- understand that CDU takes no responsibility for email that is undeliverable due to network issues, service provider outages or other circumstances out of our control.
CDU provides two official email addresses to each student as follows:
- Using your Student ID number, with an "s" at the start. For example, if your student number is 007007, then your email address will be: email@example.com
- Using your first name and surname. For example, if your name was James Bond, then your email address will be: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: if you happen to be the second James Bond at this university, then you will have a number appended to your surname. For example, email@example.com.
Students can specify a preferred email address if they like. This can be done on the CDU My Student Info page under the heading, My email address.
Please note: if a preferred email address is entered by a student, then email correspondence issued by CDU will be forwarded from their official CDU email address. Students will need to make sure that their junk mail filters are set up to accept these emails.
Refer to the section above titled Student Email Addresses for correspondence from CDU for information regarding student’s responsibilities regarding alternate email addresses.
With OneDrive for Business, there are two options to attaching files.
- Attach as a OneDrive file - This option is useful for sharing files with other students to work in a collaborative environment where both students can be working on the same document.
- Attach as a copy - This option is required for students submitting assignments and sending documents for other users to have a copy.
Note: Option two is the preferred option as it sends a copy of the document to the other person and does not require an ongoing connection to the internet to view/modify - you may tick the box for "remember my choice for files from OneDrive" if you believe this will be your main preference.