Advanced standing

Advanced standing (also referred to as exemption) is credit applied to your current course of study based on prior achievement.

Advanced standing has two categories: Credit transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

Open All | Close All

Credit transfer is awarded on the basis of completed relevant studies previously undertaken.

You can estimate the credit you may be eligible based on these pathway guidelines.

To apply for Credit transfer you must complete and submit the eForm, together with relevant supporting documents. Supporting documents include:

  • OFFICIAL Academic Record
  • Unit outlines* 
  • Certificates/diplomas

If the units of study you are seeking credit for were completed at CDU then supporting documents are not required.

Please note that credit is awarded for study completed within 7 years.

If you are seeking credit for study completed more than 7 years ago and you have relevant professional experience, you should consider applying for Recognition of Prior Learning ( RPL) . See more information below. 

*Unit outlines must be specific to the teaching period in which the unit was undertaken and must include: aims/objectives, learning outcomes, assessment items, resources required and institutional identifiers ( web links are not accepted, these must be converted to PDF prior to submission) 

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process of Advanced Standing where credit is granted at the University based upon the assessment of an individual's prior formal, non-formal and informal learning (or a combination thereof) to determine the extent to which that individual has achieved the required learning outcomes of a specified unit. 

To apply for RPL:

  1. Check your course structure in the Course Catalogue
  2. Check the unit content and learning outcomes for each unit to determine formal, non-formal and informal learning meets each learning outcome.  
  3. Send an email to your Course Coordinator, together with a Portfolio containing the following relevant supporting documents*:
    • Statement addressing the unit content and learning outcomes. 
    • Recent resume 
    • Letter of support from your employer.

*Additional evidence may be requested after the initial assessment by your Course Coordinator

For further information contact Student Central.