PhD, but not Masters by Research, candidates must complete a mid-candidature presentation--usually within about 24 months FTE from commencement. During this presentation:
- candidates should outline the literature and their research questions, methods, and progress to this time
- candidates should describe any challenges they experienced and how they modified their plan to address these challenges or improve their research.
- a panel will evaluate progress--similar to a confirmation of candidature oral presentation--although the audience might be larger
Several months before the planned thesis submission date, PhD and Masters by Research candidates must complete a pre-examination presentation. This presentation is similar to the mid-candidature presentation except that
- candidates should outline the entire research program and key findings
- the purpose is more to recognise the significant achievement of this candidate thus far as well as to optimise the thesis before submission.