Donor: Warren Johnson, Gillian Johnson and friends of Alicia Johnson
Max value: $9,000
Payment: $1,500 per semester
Duration: Up to six (6) semesters
Purpose: To provide financial support to Indigenous law students and to encourage completion by easing some of the financial burdens associated with studying a Higher Education course.
Number of Scholarships available: Three (3)
Application period: Mon, 04-11-19, 08:15 - - Fri, 20-03-20, 15:00
Mentorship: All Alicia Johnson Memorial Scholarship recipients will be provided with a mentor from the legal profession as well as an academic tutor who will actively support students through to successful completion of their law degree. The mentor and tutor will both be available to work with both individuals and with all Indigenous Law students as a whole, fostering peer-to-peer support and learning.
- Must be enrolled in the Bachelor of Laws
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 20 credit points for the duration of the scholarship
- Must be a resident of the Northern Territory
- Must identify as an Indigenous Australian
Your written statement must address each of the selection criteria in order to rank in the selection process.
- Demonstrate passion, ability and initiative in your approach to study
- Demonstrate commitment to the NT and an intention to use your skills in this area
- Provide details on why you are interested in studying law and what you hope to accomplish in your career as a legal professional.
- Students who have previously completed the CDU pre-indigenous law program.
The Scholarships Guide will give you advice on other information to include in your statement.
You can upload documents to support your application (each file must not exceed 2MB).
Past and present CDU students do not need to upload academic transcripts. All other applicants are strongly advised to submit proof of previous academic performance (from high school or other universities) to support your application.
Acknowledgement of receipt
After pressing submit of the application form, you will immediately receive an automatic reply acknowledging receipt of your application. Within 3 business days you will receive a confirmation email from the scholarships office which will inform you that either you:
- Meet the eligibility criteria and will be submitted to the panel for ranking of your selection criteria responses, or;
- Are required to submit further documentation in order to progress your application to the assessment stage.
Assessment of applications
Your application will be assessed by a selection committee. If the scholarship includes a work placement you may be required to attend an interview with the workplace employer.
Assessments are usually completed by the end of April for Semester 1 and the end of August for Semester 2.
Notification to applicants
All applicants will receive email notification regarding the success of their application.
This scholarship is to be read in conjunction with the Donor Scholarship Policy.
More questions? Search ASK CDU to find out more about scholarships.