Douglas Paton is a Professor in Psychology at Charles Darwin University.
Professor Paton researches cross-cultural theories of disaster readiness, response and recovery based on research in
- Australia (bushfire, flooding, tsunami)
- New Zealand (earthquake, volcanic, tsunami)
- Japan (earthquake, volcanic)
- Indonesia (volcanic, tsunami)
- Taiwan (earthquake, typhoon)
- Iran (earthquake), and
- Portugal (bushfire).
The findings are used to develop community engagement and professional training programs for communities and for social services and emergency professions.