If you are currently enrolled at CDU and would like to spend one or two semesters as an exchange student at one of CDU’s partner universities you must meet certain criteria:
- Completed two semesters and achieved at least 60 credit points
- Demonstrate a satisfactory academic record
- Intend to return to CDU for at least one semester after exchange placement
- Meet the language proficiency requirements of your host university or country (if intending to study units in another language)
- Have sufficient funds and valid passport for at least six months after your intended return date.
Contact the International team to find out if you are eligible. If you are eligible, CDU will liaise with the Exchange Liaison Officer at your preferred partner university and assist you to complete the required application and forward it on for processing.
As part of that application process, you will be required to do the following:
- Select 8 units offered by the host University in consultation with your course coordinator for credit towards your CDU degree (the equivalent of 40 credit points)
- Complete the International Exchange Program for Outgoing CDU Students form (PDF 302KB)
- Provide two completed Academic Recommendation forms (PDF 310KB)
- Apply for Australian Government funding (if available)
- Organise practical matters and make financial arrangements
- Provide evidence of a current passport (with six-month validity), academic transcript and proof of language proficiency (if required).
Please note: application deadlines may differ but are generally April 1 for Autumn Semester (commencing August) and September 1 for Spring Semester (commencing January the following year).
Once processed, you will receive a formal letter of offer/admission from the partner university. The Exchange Liaison Officer will then help you to apply for the necessary visa and ensure that you meet any conditions for entry/enrolment set by the country of choice/partner university.
Assessing your application
Approval is dependent upon:
- You meeting the eligibility criteria
- Credit transfer being approved by your faculty
- Availability of places at the host institution.
The final decision on acceptance into an exchange program rests with the host university.
Equivalency of 40 CDU credit points:
USA = approx. 12-15 Credits
Europe = approx. 30 ECTS
Canada = approx. 15 Credits
Japan = approx. 15 Credits
UK. = approx. 60 Credits or 30 ECTS
*Other regions do not have universal credit point systems. Refer to each host university's website for determining full time loading at that university.
If you are successful in your application for exchange, you must:
- Be enrolled in the equivalent of a standard full-time load
- Carry medical and personal insurance as instructed by the host institution
- Undergo a criminal history check (name check)
- Abide by all the rules and regulations of the host institution
- Make satisfactory academic progress in all units enrolled so that credit can be applied in full to your CDU degree
- Read the pre-departure information.
To learn more about the safety and security risks at your destination, see the travel advice on Smartraveller.
You might also be interested in
You might also be interested in
Short term programs
Pre-departure information for overseas study