Skip to main content

The international support team aims to offer the highest level of support to the international students at Charles Darwin University, to help make your experience in Australia the best it can be.

There is a dedicated member of the support team on every CDU campus. Our staff have lived and studied in other countries just like you, and have firsthand experience of the highs and lows of such a big and important journey. Issues you can discuss with the team include but aren’t limited to:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • Orientation
  • International student obligations and visa conditions. Find out more about making your studies compliant
  • Intermission  (leave of absence/study leave)
  • Study load / management of studies in given timeframe / Reduced Study Load (RSL)
  • Extension of fees payment deadlines
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • Referrals to other CDU support services relevant to your issue

Student support

The International Student Support Team is here to support to our international students as they navigate their journey of living and studying in a foreign country.

For all general enquiries email: or freecall 1800 061 963

Visit Student Central if you are on Casuarina Campus to speak to a Support Officer.

For more complex enquiries, you may choose to make an appointment to speak to the Team Leader International Student Support, see booking options below.

Team Leader International Student Support: Adelia Mu-Prasad 

International Student Support Project Officer: Ben Poveda-Alfonso

Book an appointment

Casuarina campus: Tuesdays between 1.00pm and 3.00pm*

Book now

Waterfront campus: Wednesdays between 10.00am and 12.00pm (Fortnightly)*

Book now

Palmerston campus: Mondays between 1.30pm and 3.30pm (Fortnightly)*

Book now

*All times are subject to change

Click here to access the CDU Current Students webpage for access to other important information such as MyStudentInfo, Important Dates and Course information.

Additional support

  • Academic Language and Learning Success Program

    The Academic Language and Learning Success Program (ALLSP) is a free service that assists all students with academic skills development tailored to the specific unit you are seeking help in. The ALLSP team offers free workshops focused on developing academic skills needed to succeed in university studies at both the undergraduate and postgraduate level.  aabc

    In addition to workshops, the ALLSP offers individual consultations during normal business hours. They also offer an after-hours and weekend service to students that cannot attend during normal business hours. Find out more about the services offered by ALLSP.

    Building Blue 1, Casuarina campus
    T: 08 8946 7459, 1800 157 900 (after-hours freecall)


    The Library staff can assist you with developing your research strategies, finding information using Library Search and online databases, and referencing your sources. Interlibrary loans and distance library services are also available.

    Building Red 8, Casuarina campus
    T: 08 8946 7016

  • Support in the workplace

    When you are studying in Australia, you may find a casual or part-time job to help support yourself or make new friends.

    At the time of your employment, it is very important that you make yourself aware of your rights in the workplace, the correct wages for your area and age, and penalty and weekend rates. It is the law in Australia to treat employees fairly and equally, and to pay employees according to the wages set by the industry.

    As an international student, despite your restricted working hours, you have the same rights to a fair and safe workplace as any other person. You should also receive the same level of pay as any other employee in this position.

    If you do not feel that you are being treated fairly, you do have options:

    • Discuss your concerns with your employer if you feel comfortable. Ask for copies of your pay slips, and ask to see the outline of their pay grades for employees, to ensure you are being paid correctly for your age and position.
    • Enquire with your employer about penalty rates if you work weekends or public holidays. Also, enquire about uniform entitlements or any other additional. payments you should be receiving. Search online for industry relevant information on salary information, i.e. the Northern Territory hospitality industry pay standard. 
    • If you feel that you are being exploited or treated unfairly, you can contact Fair Work Australia or your local Ombudsman. Search for your local office, and speak to their team. Gather evidence, such as payslips and any evidence of communication with your employer, to discuss with your Ombudsman. You should not be afraid of speaking with the Ombudsman, as there is no issue with checking on your work rights.

    Commonly, students may fear speaking to these agencies due to being on a student visa, or because they may be paid in cash or have worked overtime. It is important that you remain within your legal working hours, and work legally. If you are being exploited, however, you should always go to the Ombudsman to discuss your case.

    Fair Work

    The Fair Work Ombudsman released on 25 September 2017 their International Student Engagement Strategy, seeking to increase compliance in Australian workplaces employing international students. 

    Consequently, the Fair Work Ombudsman Natalie James has penned an open letter to international students, urging them to be aware of their workplace rights and to seek free help from the FWO if they experience issues while working in Australia. For more information about the FWO’s current initiatives, tools and resources about Australia’s workplace laws, visit Fair Work Ombudsman – Open letter to international students.

    Cyclone information (relevant for students in Northern Territory)

    Safety should be your first priority. If at any point you think your safety is in danger, please dial 000 and ask for emergency assistance.

    Darwin’s tropical wet season (1 November – 30 April) sometimes brings tropical cyclones. Also known as a hurricane, a cyclone is characterised by high winds, thunderstorms, rough seas and heavy rain, all of which can cause damage to property and people. Cyclones develop over large bodies of water (usually over the ocean) and can affect areas within about 50km of the coast. Commons effects of a cyclone are flooding, property damage due to high winds, fallen trees and power outages.

    The new construction standards and building codes post-Cyclone Tracy, as well as annual public awareness campaigns, ensure Darwin is a safe place to live. Also, community cyclone shelters are available if required and brochures and pamphlets with step-by-step advice are readily available and actively promoted. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology provides cyclone information and weather updates and further information about preparing for a cyclone can be found via the Northern Territory Emergency Services. For more information visit CDU Emergency Advice.

    Legal Services


    You can get legal advice from a range of organisations and individuals in the Northern Territory (NT). Some are free and others charge a fee for their services. However, please note that most do not offer advice on immigration matters.

    Northern Territory Legal Aid Commission provides legal help for people who can’t afford a private lawyer. The initial advice session is free; however, you will be assessed before you are granted ongoing legal advice, and you will need to pay a small fee.

    Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS) offers a range of free legal and advocacy services. Free legal advice sessions are held three times a week at different locations around Darwin. You can talk confidentially about your legal problem with a lawyer who can give you advice and suggest action.

    Top End Women’s Legal Services (TEWLS) provides free and confidential legal advice, legal education and support to women in Darwin and surrounding areas. You can get legal advice in most areas of civil law, with the exception of immigration and commercial matters.


    Redfern Legal Centre provides advice to international students about housing problems, fines, debts, car accidents, employment, discrimination, family law, domestic violence, and complaints about colleges or universities.

    Women’s Legal Services NSW (WLS NSW) is a community legal centre providing women across NSW with a range of free legal services.

    Overseas Students Ombudsman

    The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and training institutions in Australia. The Ombudsman’s services are free, independent and impartial. You can find out more about this service on the Ombudsman websites for your state or territory:

    Consumer protection

    Australia has a strong consumer protection framework to protect the rights of Australian consumers, including international students in Australia. When you are shopping or buying any kind of service in Australia, you have legal rights and protection. There are laws on fair-trading and consumer law guiding businesses and protecting consumers. For information about consumer laws and enforcement where you are living and studying, please visit the websites below.

    Student associations

    Australia has a number of associations representing and assisting students from Australian educational institutions. National associations include:

  • If you have received an outcome of any Charles Darwin University decision — whether it be a grade, an outcome of a reduced study load, or another issue — and you are not satisfied that the situation is resolved, you have several options regarding what to do next. These include:

    • Speaking to the concerned staff member calmly to ask for reconsideration of your case, and providing evidence to support you where applicable.  You are welcome to contact lecturers to discuss the outcome of assignment grades or administration staff regarding the outcome of administrative decisions. However, you must respect the staff members’ decision not to re-open your case, or to stick with their original outcome.
    • The Complaints Management Unit is the next step in the appeal process if you have approached the staff member or team who issued the decision and have not received a positive outcome. You can contact the Complaints Management Unit to seek an appeal of grade or to appeal an official CDU decision. Find out more information about the Complaints Management Unit.
    • The Student Advocacy Officer offers independent assistance by representing the student in areas that impact on the quality of their experience while studying at Charles Darwin University. Students are encouraged to use this service when issues arise, and they are unsure of what avenues to take.
  • You may be feeling overwhelmed by your studies, stressed from work, or dealing with something difficult in your personal life. Equity Services provides support in a range of these areas to assist you during your studies. As a CDU student, you are welcome to access some free, confidential services including

    • Counselling - At times, we all experience personal difficulties that may cause disruption and confusion in our lives. Sometimes these personal matters impact our ability to study and, in such circumstances, it can be helpful to talk with a Counsellor.

    • Accommodation services - There are plenty of accommodation options in Darwin, including on-campus accommodation, student accommodation, and private renting. Accommodation services can point you in the right direction to find suitable accommodation.

    • Careers & Employment – Talk with our expert staff to improve your chances of securing the career that you want and access resources that will build your skills and knowledge, giving you a competitive edge in the job market.

    • Disability Service - Charles Darwin University is committed to providing an accessible, supportive, safe and inclusive learning environment for students with disabilities. If you have some disability which may impact your study, discuss this and the support available to you with the team.  

    • Out-of-hours telephone crisis support - Outside business hours call this number if you are a CDU student experiencing personal distress: 1300 933 393.

    Visit Equity Services to find out about the services available.

    Reception - Building Blue 5.1, Casuarina campus
    T: 08 8946 6288, 1300 933 393 (Out-of-hours telephone crisis support)
    F: 08 8946 6654


    Respect. Now. Always

    Charles Darwin University is committed to providing a safe and respectful learning, working and living environment. Sexual assault and harassment are unacceptable. The Respect. Now. Always.The campaign, led by the Australian Human Rights Commission and Universities Australia, seeks to prevent sexual assault and harassment by raising awareness, supporting students requiring assistance and giving bystanders the confidence to speak up.

  • We always try to improve the structure and content of our website. We particularly want to know:

    • what you are looking for on the site and whether you found it
    • whether you had problems finding it 
    • whether you found it easy to navigate on the page
    • whether you experienced any technical difficulties

    We look forward to hearing from you. Please provide us with your feedback by emailing the International Students team. 

    When sending us feedback about your experience, please include your name, student number, and the address (URL) of any pages you may be experiencing problems with and a description of what actions you took before encountering the error. This will help us to investigate the problem.

Make your studies compliant

It is important that you are familiar with your rights and responsibilities as a student visa holder. Make yourself aware of your responsibilities, and ensure you meet these during your time at CDU.

2 international students at orientation 2019

International student forms

  • International students who have recently completed their studies may request a Letter of Completion. This letter is only provided to students whose status has changed to “completed” on the student system and are eligible to graduate.

    Before submitting a request to obtain a Letter of Completion, you must log into CDU eForms and apply for Nomination to Graduate.

    After you have submitted the Nomination to Graduate eform, you can then apply for a Letter of Completion by sending an email.

  • In some instances, certain students may require letters confirming their status as students at Charles Darwin University. These letters are often required by governments, institutions and other bodies. These letters include the following:

    • Program of study
    • Date commenced
    • Expected completion.

    On special request, fees paid or due for a given semester can be indicated on the letter. You must clearly request this in your email.

    In order to request a confirmation letter, please send an email to the International team, ensuring you include your full name and student number.

    When requesting a confirmation letter, please allow three days for this to be processed. The letter will be sent to your CDU email in PDF format. If you require a hardcopy, please request this and it will be made available at Student Central in Orange 1.1. 

  • As an International student, you are required to complete your program within the standard duration, as stated in your CoE. It is a condition of your student visa that you study a full-time study load, and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

    Standard 9 of the National Code states that the University must monitor the enrolment of all international students, to ensure they complete their course within the expected duration of their CoE. According to the National Code, students are only permitted to extend the duration of study for their course in limited circumstances. These circumstances can include, but are not limited to:

    • Compassionate or compelling circumstances (e.g. illness where a medical certificate states that the student was unable to attend classes).
    • Following implementation of an intervention strategy for students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory course progress (e.g. students places on a Learning Management Plan following identification as Under Review or Unsatisfactory Progression).
    • An approved deferment or suspension of study having been granted (i.e. intermission).

    Please Note: Applications are not processed until results for the current semester have been released. To find out grade release dates for this semester, please look at Important Dates.

    What to expect after you submit the online CoE extension form:

    • You will receive a confirmation email that your application has been successfully received.
    • Applications are assessed no sooner than grade release date of the study period in which you apply for the extension.
    • Your CoE may expire before you receive an outcome. This is nothing to worry about, as your visa is still active. If you are eligible for a CoE extension, you will receive your new CoE before your visa expires.

    To apply for an extension of your CoE, please complete the online form through the below link:

    Apply online: CoE Extension

  • All international students are required to undertake a full-time study load of 80 credit points per academic year. This is usually done over two compulsory study periods, Semester 1 and Semester 2 (40 credit points per semester) unless otherwise instructed or approved. If you’re not able to study the full-time load requirements, you must apply for a Reduced Study Load and provide relevant supporting documentation as applicable.

    Applications for Reduced Study Load can be submitted one month before the semester starts and until the census date of each semester. Applications for Semester 1 2020 is open from 3 February 2019 and will close on 31 March 2020.

    Find out more about the rules of Reduced Study Load, visit Changes to your enrolment/Reducing your enrolment.

    To submit an application for reduced study load, please apply online.

    Apply online: Reduced Study Load

  • All international students are required to obtain a Letter of Release from Charles Darwin University if they wish to transfer to another education provider within the first six calendar months of their principal program.

    A Letter of Release will only be granted on compassionate and compelling circumstances relating to the welfare of the student. These are family, medical or ‘well-being’ reasons for supporting a transfer (compassionate reasons), or circumstances that are generally beyond the control of the student which affect their course progress or well-being (compelling reasons).

    Apply online: Letter of Release

    Submit also the following supporting documentation:

    • An Offer letter from another registered provider
    • Other supporting documents (if applicable) such as a medical certificate, a letter of support, etc.

    The processing time for Letter of Release is within ten (10) working days of receiving a request.

  • All international students are expected to make full payment of tuition fees by the first day of each Semester.

    Extensions of time are only granted in certain, exceptional circumstances, as assessed by the CDU Compliance Officer. If you are applying for an extension of time, please ensure you provide detailed reasons and supporting evidence with your application.

    Apply online: Extension of fee payment deadline

  • Refund of tuition fees will be made in accordance with the Charles Darwin University Refunds Policy - International Students Refund of Fees Procedures (PDF 80KB).

    There is no automatic right to a refund of fees if students change their minds about studying at the university. No refunds will be issued for Semester 1 after 31 March and for Semester 2 after 31 August for continuing students.

    Under the conditions outlined in the policy, it may be possible for a student to obtain a full or partial refund. An application fee of $400 (included in tuition fees) is non-refundable in all cases, except in extenuating circumstances.

    To apply for a refund you will need to fill out an International Student Refund Request form (PDF 511KB) and submit to the international office via email.

  • When making an application for a change to your enrolment, it is important to supply appropriate documentation for the application to be considered within the National Code guidelines of ‘compassionate and compelling’ circumstances.

    If you are applying for a change to your enrolment on medical grounds, you must supply up to date, detailed medical records, signed and stamped by a doctor. Charles Darwin University has the right to contact the medical centre individually to have documents verified, and may also contact you to request more detailed medical reports.

    If you are applying on non-medical grounds, you must supply evidence of compassionate or compelling circumstances in the form of a counsellor’s letter, proof of change of circumstances, or an alternate form of the document. Statutory declarations may be accepted, alongside other forms of evidence.

  • New Australia Awards Scholarship students are advised to complete the Arrival Information and Airport Pick-up format least four (4) weeks prior to your arrival dates.

    For all continuing Australia Awards Scholarship students, you are required to complete and submit the relevant forms to CDU Global if you wish to have access to your scholarship entitlements as listed below