First Nations Leadership is an Aboriginal lead Portfolio. We are uniquely dedicated to Indigenous capacity building, including Indigenous research and community engagement.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor First Nations Leadership leads the University in achieving its goal of becoming globally recognised for First Nations leadership in education. More information about this goal can be found in CDU's Strategic Plan 2021-2026.
First Nations Leadership (FNL) Core Plan
With an aspiration to be the most recognised university for Australian First Nations training, education, and research, the FNL Core Plan commits Charles Darwin University (CDU) to develop innovative programs informed by local and national agendas that are designed to
- improve First Nations student participation and success
- create and maintain culturally-enriched and culturally-safe environments for First Nations students
- learn in partnership and co-design plans with First Nations students, staff and community,
- support CDU’s approach to reconciliation and best practice First Nations governance,
- strengthen our First Nations research focus,
- strengthen CDU’s capacity to engage with First Nations peoples meaningfully and purposefully, and
- increase CDU’s First Nations staffing profile and celebrate staff success.
Our visionLearn more
CDU was the first university in Australia to appoint a Pro Vice-Chancellor for Indigenous Leadership. One of our goals is to be the university of choice for Indigenous and non-Indigenous students and staff. Central to this is the incorporation of Indigenous perspectives and knowledge into CDU’s core business.
First Nations Student ServicesLearn more
First Nations Student Services team provide multi-layered student support to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to achieve their tertiary educational goals.
Engagement & eventsFind out more
First Nations Leadership demonstrates CDU’s commitment to First Nations perspectives and knowledge in several ways. One such way is the promotion of First Nations culture through events.
First Nations research resources
Informed and reflective research is crucial to ensuring equitable outcomes for researchers and participants.Read more
Meet the team
Meet the Deputy Vice-Chancellor First Nations Leadership Professor Reuben Bolt
Professor Reuben Bolt is a descendant of the Yuin/Wandandian and Ngarigo peoples and is the first person of Aboriginal heritage to graduate with a PhD at the Faculty of Health Sciences, the University of Sydney.Read more