Casuarina accommodationFind out more
Right on campus, International House Darwin (IHD) is part of the International Houses network in Australia and overseas. IHD Casuarina campus is a way of life and a residential community for both local and international students. People come together to not only learn and study, but build relationships, personal journeys, and their future.
Katherine accommodationFind out more
Katherine Student Accommodation (KSA) includes a recreation room, dining room, sports oval, training and conference facilities and a pool. These facilities are available to all residents - whether living here on a short or long-term stay or visiting from any school groups or conference groups.
Alice Springs accommodationFind out more
The Alice Springs Student Accommodation (ASSA) is for CDU students, students from other universities undertaking placement, CDU staff and visiting guests, and groups.
The CDU off-campus accommodation service is designed to help new and continuing students o find accommodation while studying at CDU. We offer a FREE and confidential service providing information and advice on housing options.
Watch the video below to explore the different options for off-campus accommodation in Darwin.
Students who are new to Australia enjoy the benefits of homestay programmes to get a taste of local life. An international student and a local person or family in the host country exchange cultures during a homestay. For an agreed-upon duration and cost, the "host" offers accommodation and assistance. Meals, assistance, and other activities are all options for homestays. The students gain an understanding of the language, way of life, and local customs.
There are specialized agencies that arrange everything – from matching you with a family to administrating payments.
The main agencies in Darwin are:
Visit Global Experience or call 0450 262 020
Australian Homestay Network
Visit AHN Darwin or call 1300 024 628
StudyStays is our online student accommodation noticeboard.
You can find rental properties and advertise your property.
Email the Off-Campus Accommodation Officer at email@example.com to discuss possible options prior to your arrival.
They are unable to book accommodation on your behalf, however, they can help you give you advice on how to find suitable housing options.
You can also contact local real estate agents for listings of other rental properties.
Please note: the University cannot take responsibility for the information provided by external organisations.
Read our accommodation brochure and our off-campus accommodation flyer for more information.
UniLodge Darwin student accommodation is a great option for students studying at Casuarina, Palmerston or Darwin Waterfront. It neighbours the Casuarina Shopping Centre and is only a five-minute walk to the Casuarina campus.
Unilodge has the following features:
- great recreation room with pool tables and table tennis
- large media room with 70inch LED TV
- outdoor terrace with BBQs
- study rooms on every level
- situated on Darwin's largest shopping precinct, Casuarina Shopping Centre.
UniLodge Darwin is a purpose-built student accommodation building, offering residents a large range of room options at different rates. Check out the accommodation brochure.
For more information, please visit UniLodge Darwin or call the UniLodge concierge on +61 8 8942 0706.
Things to consider before renting
Before committing to anything
When looking for off-campus accommodation, consider the following:
- which campus will you be studying at?
- will you be using public transport?
- what length of tenancy do you require?
- what is your budget/price range? Please be aware that due to Darwin’s remoteness and high demand for rental accommodation it has a higher rent than most places in Australia.
- rental references from previous landlords written in English may increase your chances of being accepted for a rental property. Real estate agents will call your referees. If you do not have rental references, personal references such as those from previous employers may be accepted by landlords.
- all off-campus accommodation is privately owned and is not controlled by CDU. You may consider asking a friend to send you information and prices of accommodation prior to arrival to give you more of an idea, but do not commit to a property on a friend's advice.
Important information about off-campus accommodation
Off-campus accommodation is not controlled by Charles Darwin University. Quality, conditions and convenience will vary greatly.
To protect yourself against scams or inappropriate accommodation:
- do not pay for or sign a contract for accommodation unless you have seen the property first. You may stand to lose a considerable amount of money and/or you may find that the accommodation is not suitable
- inspect the property before signing anything
- keep copies of all correspondence, bank details and the listing itself.
Be aware of internet accommodation scams that are occurring.
External off-campus accommodation options
There are several organisations that advertise available accommodation.
These organisations are external to CDU and the university cannot take responsibility for the information provided by such organisations.
Looking for more information?
Read more about accommodations options (PDF, 3.55 MB) and off-campus accommodation what you need to know before choosing a rental property, who to talk to and how to apply.
Still want to chat with someone?
T: +61 8 8946 6591
T: +61 8 8946 6591
T: +61 8 8946 6591
T: +61 8 8946 6288