Apply to undertake your Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at CDU, and you’ll be supported by committed supervisors who are experts in their fields, while you work in a distinct and unique part of Australia.
Learn about our courses
Completing your Master by Research or PhD is an opportunity to specialise in your chosen field and contribute to delivering real and measurable impact in Northern Australia and beyond. Find out what you can study with CDU.
Check the academic and English entry requirements
Master by Research (MRes)
To be eligible for entry to an MRes you should have completed either:
- a Bachelor Honours degree with first-class or second-class honours
- a Master by Coursework or Extended Masters, which contains a substantial research component
Doctor of Philosophy
To be eligible for entry to a PhD you should have completed either:
- a Bachelor Honours degree with first-class honours or second-class honours division
- a Master's qualification that contains a substantial research component
For more information on Honours' equivalence and documentation (for example copies of peer-reviewed academic publications), see HDR - Candidate Recruitment, Admission and Enrolment Procedures
English entry requirements
IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with no band less than 6.0, or an equivalent English proficiency test result. However, please refer to the entry requirements page for more information on the forms of demonstrating English language proficiency.
How to apply
- Submit your Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Await confirmation of invitation to apply
- Contact a potential supervisor
- Submit a completed online application before 31 October
What is an EOI?
Prospective international HDR candidates are required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the HDR team before being invited to apply for admission. An EOI includes the following:
- Copies of academic transcripts and Award Certificates
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including details of publications
- A brief research proposal (1500-1700 words or 3-4 pages) on the research you would like do, including details about specific methodological techniques
Deadline for EOI
For scholarship applicants, EOI’s are to be received anytime between 1 January – 6 September 2019 for admission in Semester 1, 2020.
There is no deadline for fee-paying (non-scholarship) applicants. Fee-paying applicants may submit an EOI at any time throughout the year.
Your EOI will be reviewed within two weeks, and you will be advised of the outcome. Please note, an invitation to apply does not guarantee admission.
Find a supervisor
After receiving an invitation to apply, the next step is finding a potential supervisor. You will need to obtain the supervisor’s confirmation in writing. A copy of email communications will be sufficient.
Check the projects and supervisors listed on the CDU Research web portal. Each researcher's profile indicates if the researcher is listed on our supervisor register and is eligible to supervise HDR applicants.
Applications to CDU must be submitted online. The process is simple; all you need is a valid email address to create your online account. Once you have started the application, you will have the option of saving your application and resuming it later. There is no application fee when you apply online.
The online application process allows you to attach the relevant documents to your application. Forms are listed below:
- Completed online application form including referee information
- Copy of passport showing personal and visa details
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Statement of Purpose
- Certified copies of all post-secondary qualification documents such as transcripts of results, award certificates, grading systems, and English translations, if required
- Detailed CV / Resume with a list of publications
- If you are applying for a scholarship, a copy of the Application for HDR Scholarship Form (PDF, 119.26 KB).
- Research Proposal Outline
- The referee report form should be completed and sent by your referees directly to the University at Research.Degrees@cdu.edu.au.
- Existing Research Output form for each publication and a copy of the first page of each publication.
- Supervisor’s confirmation in writing (e.g. email correspondence)
- Other supporting documentation, if applicable
If you require further assistance, please contact CDU Global.
Ask us a question
You might be interested in
You might be interested in
Find an agent