Skip to main content

Research and Innovation

Disaster management supervisors

Higher Degree by Research

Our unique postgraduate programs focus on the Asia-Pacific, which is affected by disasters ranging from tsunamis to earthquakes to volcanic activity.

As a Higher Degree by Research student, you can choose from a wide range of topics to research, including climate change, environmental migration and human trafficking; disaster policy making and reform in developing countries; politics of crisis and disaster communication; cultural institutionalism and disasters, and more.

Related content

Dr Jonatan Lassa

Dr Jonatan Lassa

Dr Lassa’s doctoral research has been one of the first systematic studies on disaster governance, looking at institutions and governance practice in disaster reduction in the countries around the world.

Meet Jonatan
Associate Professor Akhilesh Surjan

Associate Professor Akhilesh Surjan

Associate Professor Surjan is proactively engaged with the issues of disaster-environment-climate risk reduction, global change and sustainability in the context of human settlements. 

Meet Akhilesh
Associate Professor Janine Joyce

Associate Professor Janine Joyce 

Dr Janine Joyce is Associate Professor/ Head of Discipline (Acting) at the College of Health and Human Sciences at Charles Darwin University.  She is  available to supervise interdisciplinary projects that give practical improvements for communities in the areas of wellbeing, empowerment and resilience/ transformation.  

Research interests: 

  • empowerment and resilience processes in post conflict and disaster community context
  • peace education and building.
Meet Janine

I can't find a supervisor who matches my research interest. What can I do?

If you've been unable to find a supervisor from the list above, you can use the researchers portal to find researchers from related fields.

  • Use one or two keywords to narrow down the list of researchers.
  • Each research profile will indicate if the researcher has the capacity to supervise.

Once you've found a suitable supervisor, you can contact them using the CDU directory.

Access the domestic application pack


Research scholarships

Domestic students

International students