Skip to main content
Start of main content

The essentials

Job Ready Graduates Package

Learn about the possible impacts on your Commonwealth Assistance

Genuine engagement in study

The Australian Government's Job-ready Graduates Package introduced funding regulations with additional eligibility conditions for students undertaking studies in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and accessing HELP assistance.

The intention of these conditions is to ensure support is provided to genuine students.

Who does it affect?

If you commenced a course from 1 January 2022 and are enrolled in a CSP and/or have a HELP loan, the legislative changes apply to you. There are conditions you must maintain through the journey of your course to ensure your eligibility for Commonwealth Assistance, these include:

  • maintaining a Low Completion Rate of 50% or below 
  • Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) of seven years
  • that you be a ‘genuine student’ engaged in your studies.

Find out more about the Low Completion Rate on the Department of Education website or the Government's Study Assist website.

What is a Low Completion Rate and how is it calculated?

A Low Completion Rate is the percentage of the units you enrolled in that you didn't complete with a passing grade. It also includes units withdrawn from, after census date. Your Low Completion Rate is calculated from the start of your course, but is only used to measure your eligibility after you have attempted the following:

8 or more units in a higher education course with 12 or more units required for completion
  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Masters
  • Doctorate
4 or more units in a higher education course with 4 or more units required for completion
  • Including CDU’s enabling programs
  • Associate degrees
  • Higher education Diploma
  • Undergraduate certificates
  • Graduate Certificates

All about  your completion rate

To calculate your completion rate, you will need to view your Unofficial Academic Transcript. 

Current students can print an unofficial Academic Transcript by logging in to MyStudentInfo and selecting 'Grades'. 

Note: unofficial academic transcript cannot be accessed if you have an encumbrance.

You can then use the table below to see if the units you have undertaken are considered successfully completed or not successfully completed. 

Calculating your completion rate

Any unit that you have not successfully completed will count towards your Low Completion Rate.


Grade definition

Percentage score

Grade Completion


High Distinction

85 to 100%

Successfully Completed



75 to < 85%

Successfully Completed



65 to < 75%

Successfully Completed



50 to < 65%

Successfully Completed


Pass Conceded

45 to < 50%

Successfully Completed


Pass Ungraded


Not successfully completed



0 - 50%

Not successfully completed


Fail Not Submitted


Not successfully completed


Withdrawn Fail (after census date)


Not successfully completed

Once you have identified which units are complete and which are incomplete, you will need to find the number of completed units by using this formula: 

Total number of attempted units minus the number of incomplete units. 

Then, you can use the below formula to determine your current completion rate (the result will be the percentage of your units that have been successfully completed): 

Number of completed units ÷ Total number of attempted units x 100.

What do you need to do?

It’s important to monitor your completion rate throughout your course to ensure it doesn't become too low. We will also reach out to you if your academic performance indicates that you’re at risk of progression in your course and we will provide you with advice on your next steps.

We encourage you to be proactive and seek advice if you believe your completion rate is going to be negatively impacted.

% of unsuccessful units

What this means and what you need to do next

Above 50%

Your government funding for your course will be revoked. We will be reaching out to you, but don’t wait for us, get in touch with our Student Central Team to discuss your options now.

50% - 30%

You will continue receiving government funding for the moment. However, we strongly recommend you reviewing your current work/study balance and access the support services we have available here at CDU to help curbing these fail rates.

25% or below

Keep up the good work and continue monitoring your completion rate.

What are your options if your Low Completion Rate is above 50%?

If you have not successfully completed more than 50% of your attempted units, you will lose your Commonwealth Assistance. Your options then are to:

Transfer to a new course with Charles Darwin University
  • If you change to a different course, your previous completion rate will not carry over and you will be able to access Commonwealth assistance again.
  • When transferring to a new course, your application will be assessed on whether you are academically suited.
  • Be mindful that you are still required to maintain Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) of seven years.

To apply for a course transfer, go to eForms in your CDU Portal.

CDU Portal

Apply for Low Completion Rate Review due to special circumstances

Special Circumstances must not make the full impact on you until on or after the census date. If the unit/s that you request for special circumstances, is successful, these units will be excluded when calculating your Low Completion Rate.

Frequently asked questions for students

Does the Low Completion Rate requirement apply to you?

From January 1, 2022, if you commence a new course of study, you must meet the completion rate to continue in a CSP or receive a HELP loan. 

Why is census date important?

The Census date is the last day to withdraw from your course without it affecting your completion rate, SLE, financial and academic penalties. After the Census date, any course enrolled will be monitored and the calculation of your completion rate and SLE will apply. 

What can you do to improve your completion rate?

As you pass more units within your course, your completion rate will improve. If you need assistance with study support, use our support services to help you stay on track. 

Can changing your study load help your completion rate?

You can reduce the number of units you’re studying if you don’t think you will be able to pass them all.   

What can you do if you think you may fail a unit?

You should contact your lecturer to discuss your progression in the unit. If you think you will fail the unit due to extenuating circumstances, you should withdraw from the unit. 

Can you withdraw from units you think you may fail?

Please see the different options for withdrawing a unit after the Census date.

What if you have failed a unit and you don’t agree with the grade?

You should follow the appeal process

How does repeating a unit impact your completion rate?

When you repeat a unit, it will count as an attempt, which will affect your completion rate. 

Does your completion rate impact future applications?

Your completion rate calculation only affects the course you are enrolled in at the time and does not transfer if you enrol in another course. 

What if you’re an International student or not using FEE-HELP?

This may not apply to you, but if you intend to become an Australian citizen or become eligible for FEE-HELP in the future, you should have a basic understanding of the requirements.  

Learn more about Job Ready Graduates Package

Visit the Australian Government - Department of Education website.

Learn more

Contact us

If you have any questions about JRG, reach out.

1800 061 963
Back to top