Confucius Institute cultural and language programs
- Chinese language course (Mandarin)
- Chinese proficiency test
- Monthly Chinese corner
- China in-country short term language immersion course
- Short courses for Chinese language teachers
- Web-based activities and workshops on Chinese customs and language for school students
- Cultural programs, featuring demonstrations of Chinese language, visual and performing arts by visiting performers or experts from China, on-campus and online collaboration with local community groups
- Celebrations of Chinese festivals and culture, on-campus and online, in workshops and activities
- Confucius Institute Day
- Public lectures on business, trade and society.
Study Mandarin Chinese at CDU
Chinese foundation is designed for students with little or no Chinese language background. Pinyin, the official phonetic system for transcribing the Mandarin Chinese pronunciations of Chinese characters into the Latin alphabet, will be introduced to the students throughout the course. Combined with the introduction of grammar and Chinese characters, as well as simple day-to-day conversations, Chinese Foundation is a great course for anyone who wants to build a solid foundation for further Chinese language study.
Chinese proficiency test (HSK) tutorial
HSK is an international standardised exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ ability to use the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives. This tutorial is for students who have completed the Chinese for Beginners, Level 1 to 3 and are ready to take the HSK test. It requires students to have a grasp of basic Chinese and be able to communicate in simple and routine tasks, requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
The results of the HSK test can serve as a reference in applying for a Confucius Institute Scholarship and as a Chinese language certificate for foreign students' entry into Chinese colleges. The results of the HSK are valid for two years (beginning from the test date).
Chinese course costs
The class is limited in size and the fee is $100 per person per term (8 weeks), including the textbook. The course fee can be paid via CDU Webpay.
For CDU students/staff, the course fee is exempted. The textbook is available to purchase at extra cost of $20.00. Textbook fees can be paid via CDU Webpay.
Confucius Institute Certificate of Completion can be provided if needed.
How to enrol
To enrol in our short courses, please complete the online enrolment form.