Everything you need to know before making a nomination.
The following guidelines will help you complete the Alumni Excellence Awards nomination process. Please refer to our FAQs or contact our Alumni Relations Team if you have any further questions.
- Nomination Open: Monday, 1 March 2021
- Nominations close: Monday, 31 May 2021
- Shortlisted Nominations: Friday, 2 July 2021
- Shortlisted Nominees Announced: Monday, 12 July 2021
- Selections Panels Convene: TBC
- Alumni Awards Gala Dinner: Thursday, 21 October 2021 (to be confirmed)
- Nominators must provide a supporting statement of no more than 500 words, outlining the achievements, impact and contributions of the nominee and supporting documents via an online form.
- All submissions are reviewed and shortlisted based on their supporting statement and documents.
- A selection panel determines the recipients for each category.
- Recipients are announced at the CDU Alumni Awards Gala Dinner, scheduled for Thursday, 21 October 2021 (to be confirmed).
The Selection Panels
The awards are organised by the Charles Darwin University Advancement office under the portfolio of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Global Strategy and Advancement. The selection panels consist of :
- Chancellor or a Council representative
- Vice-Chancellor or nominee
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Global Strategy and Advancement
- Pro Vice-Chancellor, Indigenous and Regional Outreach
- College, Deans (or nominee) x 2
- Director, Marketing
- Director, Advancement
- Manager, Alumni (Awards Coordinator)
Top Writing Tips
Who, why and how
Summarise the key information at the start of your application.
Use personal examples
This is a memorable way to make your nominee stand out.
Plan and categorise
Remember a good piece of writing is 30% planning, 40% writing and 30% editing. You can compartmentalise your thoughts and ideas, and improve readability for the selection panel.
Address the selection criteria
Just like a job application, responses need to be linked to the selection criteria. Ensure you carefully address each criterion, demonstrating the nominees' impact and achievements, and providing evidence where possible.
Words like “world-class” or “superstar” are overused and not evidence-based.
Remember your audience
The selection panel is comprised of a senior staff member and alumni, including former Alumni Excellence Award recipients. Panel members are selected based upon their professional experience to ensure each panel has the relevant expertise for each award category.