We recognise the challenges faced by students who combine their studies with elite-level sport.
The Elite Athlete Support Program provides personalised support for elite athletes for the duration of their academic program at CDU. The Program encourages and supports student athletes competing at a national and international levels with flexible entry and study arrangements at CDU.
CDU is a proud member of the Elite Athlete Support Program.
About the program
To access the Program you must be identified and recognised as an elite athlete.
Elite athletes are defined by the Australian Sport Commission. They must be identified and recognised, or be a member of one of the following organisations as an 'elite athlete' or 'elite coach.'
- Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)
- State and Territory Institutes/Academies of Sport
- AFL Players’ Association
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association
- Rugby League Professionals’ Association
- Australian Professional Footballers’ Association
- Australian Basketballers Association
- National squad members from Sport Australia funded sports
- Senior/head coaches from State and Territory Institutes/Academies of Sport, national teams from Sport Australia funded sports or participating professional sports.
If an athlete falls outside of these organisations they may submit an application for consideration by the University. The AIS can investigate, verify and make a recommendation where required.
CDU can offer flexible study arrangements designed to help elite athletes meet assignment deadlines or sitting of exams.
Assessment related needs
- Ability to negotiate assessment deadlines based on sporting related travel commitments.
- Ability to sit exams externally under exam conditions, within the athlete’s environment (e.g. while travelling, in your hotel, etc).
- The minimum attendance at lectures, tutorials or practical waived where student is unavailable due to sporting commitments.
Enrolment related needs
- Ability to tailor academic study load to integrate with sporting commitments.
- Negotiate lecture, tutorial and practical timetables to accommodate sporting commitments.
- Extend minimum time to complete course due to periods of decreased study load.
- Take several leaves of absence when required due to increased sporting commitments.
- Complete cross institutional study options with interstate universities, and flexibility within this policy provided for student athletes (e.g. first year student’s eligible, increase number of subjects able to be completed by cross institutional study.
- Provision of summer study alternatives and/or ability to swap between distance education mode and on campus mode, depending on sporting commitments.
- Recognition of credit achieved at interstate universities.
Carbine Sports Scholarship
CDU offer scholarships to all students at many levels.
Aimed specifically at athletes, you may be eligible to apply for the Carbine Club Sports Scholarship.
You may also be eligible to apply for other scholarships, so check out our scholarships finder.
Associate Professor Tim (Ian) Heazlewood (Ph.D.Syd.)
Elite Athlete Support Program Coordinator
Yellow 1, Casuarina campus, NT
P: 08 8946 6847