To be eligible for VET Student Loans, you must meet the citizenship and residency requirements:
- be an Australian citizen; or
- a permanent Humanitarian visa holder, (resident in Australia for the duration of the units/s of study); or
- a qualifying New Zealand citizen who is a Special Category Visa (SCV) holder (this is not a permanent visa but allows its holder to visit, live, and work in Australia indefinitely) who meets the long-term residency requirements, which are:
- have first entered Australia as a dependent minor aged under 18 years; and
- at the time did not have a spouse or de facto partner; and
- have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years, and 18 months out of the past 2 years; and
- meet the other eligibility criteria for the loan (you are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported course and you will be residing in Australia for the duration of your course).
Please note: to apply for a VET Student Loan, you must provide current and updated evidence for each of the above criteria prior to enrolment.
You must be assessed by your CDU delivery team as academically suited to undertake the approved course on the basis of either:
- providing your Australian year 12 Certificate; or
- providing your International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) diploma; or
- providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR at a level in a framework that preceded the AQF that is equivalent to level 4 or above in the AQF, or has been assessed by a Federal, State or Territory government agency which assesses overseas qualifications (or an organisation contracted by such an agency to undertake such assessments) as equivalent or comparable to: a qualification at a level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework, or a qualification at a level in a framework that preceded the AQF that is equivalent to level 4 or above in the AQF; or
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
- In addition, CDU must reasonably believe that student is academically suited to undertake the course and the student must meet any other specified entry requirements.
Additional eligibility criteria:
To be eligible for VET Student Loans, you must:
- have a FEE-HELP balance that is more than $0
- plan to study the approved course primarily at a campus in Australia
- study with an approved provider
- have a Tax File Number or a Certificate of Application for a Tax File Number provided by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) or are otherwise exempt
- submit the electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) by the first census day and at least two business days after enrolling
- confirm engagement and progression online when requested to by the Government
- have read the VET Student Loans Information Booklet.
For more information on eligibility requirements, please visit the VET Student Loans website.